Need Help ... Please!! (6800 GT)

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
starverse
Legit User
Legit User

Need Help ... Please!! (6800 GT)

Post by starverse »

I have the Nvidi 6800GT. A bit in the past I noticed some game/sound glitches with games such as Dungeon Siege II (during the videos - it would skip) Also did this in games such as the SIMS, Mark of Chaos, Titan Quest (really bad), and others. I have it also set up so it's all App-Controlled.

I run my PC on 1024x768 RES.

I updated my drivers correctly (with the many steps, safe mode, driver cleaner, etc) and installed the latest (right now, 91.33 I believe). I then set all my screen setting back to how I had them.

It didn't fix the glitching and the game laging, but now when I open up a menu on my PC, or even scoll the internet or a Text doc. it seems to SKIP/LAG as if it is thinking about the next step or something.

What's going on and How can I fix it????

PS: I also updated my MOUSE Drivers - it helped a TAD, but still bad :(

:axe:
AMD Phenom II x3 710 Triple Core
AM3 2.26 GHZ 7.5 MB Cache 95 W 45 NM
ASUS M3N78-VM SLI mATX AM2+ Motherboard
1.6 TB Hard Drive
Corsair TX 650 w ATX Power Supply
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

:)
- STAR VERSE COMICS - | - STAR VERSE ENTERTAINMENT -
coreyb18
Legit User
Legit User

well i would look at

Post by coreyb18 »

What brand of 6800GT example evga xfx exc and is it 256 and your sound card will glitch and lag the game some the 24bit sound blaster sucks sorry. you might want to spend a little money and get a better one.
starverse
Legit User
Legit User

Post by starverse »

Sorry, forgot about that!

EVGA
DDR-3
256 MB
PCI-E (16 Channel)

Yes, I have been told previously about the Sounc Card. It has been working alright. Mainly began to have problems once I got this Video Card.

I am also going to try to Update the drivers for the Sound Card, or search the net for Forums to which driver works better for this card.
1.6 TB Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

starverse
Legit User
Legit User

Get this ...

Post by starverse »

Man ...

1. Ok, I turned off the Power and Cleaned the Inside of the PC. (It wasn't too bad, but I worked at getting everything off the fans - now Quieter :) )

2. Went into SAFE MODE and Uninstalled the current drivers and did the driver cleaner, re-booted back into SAFE MODE and then installed the 84.43 drivers.
Everything went greak, except during the instal, Windows had a Message about the driver not being Windows certified or something. I continued on. Installed them and then re-booted again.

3. I (upon the request of a few people) then searched the BIOS for Fastwrites to Enable it or something - Never did find it.

4. Let everything load into XP (like regular)

5. Changed all my Screen settings back to what they were at.

6. Looked around at all the different settings to see why it DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM! - Anger began to RAGE through my VEINS!!!!

7. As searching, I then happened to go to DISPLAY PROPERTIES and then TROUBLESHOOTING to notice that WRITE COMBINING as turned OFF! I am not really sure what that is/was, but at this point didn't care. Turned it ON and once again, pressed RE-SET.

8. Everything loaded fine, and is NOW WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

What is WRITE COMBINING and why would it do what it did????
](*,)
1.6 TB Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

starverse
Legit User
Legit User

Still ...

Post by starverse »

I still get the 3-4 sec. game lag/freeze/glitches though.

I downloaded the DEMO of WarHammer Mark of Chaos to try on a NEW game (Dawn of War runs fine!) I have all the settings 1/2 down or more, and the game still runs horrible!

EX:
When the demo begins, you are talking. As the character begins to walk the he "freezes" as the sound skips and repeats itself for about 3-10 seconds. Sometimes if longer, the PC resets itself :(
1.6 TB Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

did you check the temps in the control panel? maybe it's a heat issue...
do you have cooling on your VGA RAM?

try opening the side of the case and place a fan blowing on the card. if the problem is gone then your card is overheating...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
starverse
Legit User
Legit User

Heat ...

Post by starverse »

The heat is fine.
I cleaned the inside of the PC and even finger cleaned each fan blade to make sure!
The temp sits at roughly 31 or something like that.

Everything else on the PC works fine... Movies, MP3's, I play guitar and record my own stuff with my PC and it too is 100%, just select games, such as the SIMS, Marc of Chaos, etc.

I once read on a forum that there has been reports of certain PC's, motherboards, AMD's, verisons of XP having problems with Video Cards/Sound Cards with service pack 2.

You ever hear that?
:rolleyes:
1.6 TB Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

setscrew
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by setscrew »

If your motherboard has on-board sound, uninstall the Creative drivers. Then shut down and remove the sound card. Then restart.

I have have experienced many issues that trace back to Creative's drivers over the years.

What is the temperature of the 6800GT?
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

setscrew wrote:If your motherboard has on-board sound, uninstall the Creative drivers. Then shut down and remove the sound card. Then restart.

I have have experienced many issues that trace back to Creative's drivers over the years.

What is the temperature of the 6800GT?
Yeah, I'd suggest trying this just to rule it out.

What sort of anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff do ya run? Have you ensured nothing else is hogging the CPU in the background?
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
super_cool
Legit User
Legit User

Post by super_cool »

You r still using the backdated drivers.Update your driver to the Nvidia 9 series drivers.Also please let us know the SMPS u r using.It too can hold your graphic card back.
SweetXD
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SweetXD »

try installing the latest version of the force ware , and flash your mother board with the latest bios ,you can try to fresh install of XP along with the game you want you .hope you get solved .
starverse
Legit User
Legit User

My Adventure ...

Post by starverse »

Hey there guys, just letting you know how I turned out, and THANKS for the help that you gave me ...

Well, it turned out that the fan on the Video card was dieing and almost begining to spin in reverse every now and then.(have no idea how?)

So anyways, I called up a friend of mine who is very smart when it comes to this stuff to ask for a good fan idea.
We ended up going to http://www.ncix.com , and buying this BEAST ...
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... %20Cooling

Well, now I dont always believe the reviews that I read. That SOB took about 4+ hours of carefully taking pieces off the old card so the FAN would fit on!

So fine we got her on and then realized that the metal cross on the top is to be filled over so it pushes downwards (under it was the piece with the liquid metal to keep the card cool or something i am told). We went to unscrew the bolts to SHOCKLY find out that the bolts are ANTI-TAMPERING bolts!

I looked all around Saskatchewan (where I live) in PC stores, CAR shops, the net, etc ...
The ones I DID find dont fit properly. I emailed the artic cooling website about 15 times and tried calling them but have never got a reply or responce!

So now I have a card that have become a 30 LB (the fan is Heavy!) Paper Weight!

I was mad for quit a few days, but I have just reciently quit my job (8 years) to begin a new one - my old job is paying me out with their “Profit-SharingéRetirement Planâ€
1.6 TB Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar-D1 Sound Card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64