In The Market...

A place to talk about all things mobile
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

In The Market...

Post by Alathald »

Well, I'm looking for a new/used laptop that will last me a few years. I ran across the article on the ASUS Z63A and while I would like to do a whitebook and like the styling of the Z63A, I'm wondering if that particlar chassis will last me for the next couple years. Other than that, can anyone suggest a good whitebook that can be completed for <$1000 ? I don't plan on using it for movies, just some music, and I'll probably install Linux. It will basically be a computer for taking notes and doing stuff for college. I'll use the computer in my sig for any gaming/movies etc. Also it has to be smallish and lightweight.

I also found a used prebuilt notebook built on the Z63A chassis (2GHz Intel Pentium M, 1x1GB RAM) for about $500. Is that a good deal?

To clarify, my main two questions are:
  • Is the ASUS Z63A still a viable option for a college student?
  • If not, what's a good whitebook that can be completed for <$1000 ?
TIA
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In The Market...

Post by dicecca112 »

My only concern would be what CPU's does it support. If it can support Merom (Core 2 Duo Desktop Version) then yeah why not.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Bah, didn't even think about CPU support ](*,) . The Z63A has the 915gm chipset, which means it only supports Pentium M, and I'd like to go C2D. Oh well, it appears I've got a lot more looking to do...damn you dicecca, you have burst my small bubble of hope :rolleyes: .
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

There are whitebooks out there that support C2D I found them before I decided to get a dell
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

dicecca112 wrote:There are whitebooks out there that support C2D I found them before I decided to get a dell
Which did you go with? The XPS?

Nevermind Dicecca, I see it now in your SIG..../bonk