BlackJack II

A place to talk about all things mobile
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

BlackJack II

Post by Alathald »

OK, I just bought a new phone (a BlackJack II from the looks of it :P ) and what's the first thing I do? Surf straight the the forums of course! Well when I got here, everything was messed up looking (has always looked fine on my SLVR) AND I can't click on the New Topic button. I think it may be the browser as I have heard it sucks but I thought I would inform you guys that the site is broken on Windows Mobile Internet Explorer.

While I'm at it, I could use some suggestions for some software (such as a browser...) and/or some mods from you other smart phone users :) . Any chance of installing linux on this bad boy?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BlackJack II

Post by DMB2000uk »

Try opera mini. Pretty much the best phone based web-browser.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

This is generally pocket PC applications, but I just found this site yesterday.

Freewareppc

If anyone finds any other good places, let me know. I should be getting my smartphone today, and I would love to cram it full of useful apps.

Do you have a link to the opera mini installer?

EDIT: found one for a 30 day trial... anyone have a free version, maybe an older version that isn't a trial only?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

It seems that Opera Mobile (the one for smart phones) has to be paid for. Opera Mini is still free though and works great on phones that run Java Apps. After a bit of research and talking to some friends, Webby Mobile, ThunderHawk and Jataayu JB5 both sound interesting and I plan to give them a try. I'll report back once I can be bothered to try them out. I just hate how slow cell phones can be, been doing some research to speed mine up (full access to the registry on the BJII :) ).

BTW, what kind of phone did you get vicaphit?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not a good mod out there to make phpbb3 mobile friendly (if you know of one please post it). Right now a bunch of the PHPbb3 mobile phone hacks are just workarounds - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=582739
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Apoptosis wrote:not a good mod out there to make phpbb3 mobile friendly (if you know of one please post it).
I just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you weren't aware, I'll keep my eyes open for fixes.

Bit off topic (but hey, it's my thread) but does anyone know a good source for MicroSDHC cards for my phone? I found a 8gig one on Amazon for $46.19 but I wasn't sure what the standard price was for these things or if they get any bigger...
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Samsung SCH-i760
ImageImage

It may be Verizon exclusive, has a touch screen, keyboard... I'm sure I will enjoy it! It is currently sitting at home, while I am stuck at work.

Make sure your phone will accept SDHC. This phone supports up to 2 gigs, otherwise I would have gotten a 4 gig microSD.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

The specs on the BJII state that it supports up to 4GB SDHC but many people across the internet have been using 6GB and up with no problem so I'll probably grab a 8GB card unless I can find a larger one in my price range.

BTW, a quick search found me this on using a 4GB SDHC card on a SCH-i760. Surely there are similar hacks available for 6GB-8GB and up.

Love that kickout keyboard, but I'm a bit rough on phones so candybar style only for me :)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You rule alathald, I may get a 4 gig now... Too bad I already bought the 2 gig!
----
Andy

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Yes, all shall bow to me! :snakeman:

Nah, actually just a quick google search, popped right up...had a bit of info on my phone as well so I'm glad I read it :)

Is odd that they couldn't get the >4GB SDHC cards to work though...I still haven't gotten around to the nuts and bolts of my phone yet though but I will keep everyone up to date when I do!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I am loving my i760! I have put a hand full of apps on it already, and I keep finding more that I want. I was never able to find an operamini .cab file, so I can't get it working. I have something that I installed but for some reason it won't work. I plan on using the phone to go to operamini.com to download the correct version. I did download minimo, the mozilla mobile browser, and it is a resource hog. I hope I can get Opera working.
----
Andy

mgrennet
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mgrennet »

Vicaphit,

Check out http://www.myblackjack2.com for a nice collection of blackjack2 software, accessories, hacks and tips.

It doesnt have as many apps as freewareppc.com, but it lists the best by category so dont have to sift through 50 different apps trying to figure out what to use.

vicaphit wrote:This is generally pocket PC applications, but I just found this site yesterday.

Freewareppc

If anyone finds any other good places, let me know. I should be getting my smartphone today, and I would love to cram it full of useful apps.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Do the blackjack Apps work for any Windows Mobile device? I don't have a blackjack.
----
Andy

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

All the standard apps should work fine as they are just .cab files but I'm not sure about the ones involving registry hacks, I would think they would work as both phones run WM6 but I'd also say do so at your own risk...BTW Windows Live Mobile rocks!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I installed doom, and it works fine. Though I can't save games, because it just freezes when I try to save. Kinda pointless to have it if I can't save. Doom is a long game.
----
Andy