Wireless Router Question

A place to talk about all things mobile
brianaxa
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Wireless Router Question

Post by brianaxa »

Will a wireless router work on its own or are other components needed? I am interested in getting a wireless router so I don't have wires and cables all over my room. If I buy a wireless router, is that all I need to get it working or do I have to get a PCI card as well? What is a wireless USB adapter? Will that work alone with the router or just the router? Confused!! Also what is the difference between B-G and N routers?
Last edited by brianaxa on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless Router Question

Post by dicecca112 »

In the future please create your own topic and not post in topics that haven't had any posts in more than a couple months. I've split your question off from that thread and created a new one for you. It'll help get more views from the members here
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

brianaxa wrote:Will a wireless router work on its own or are other components needed? I am interested in getting a wireless router so I don't have wires and cables all over my room. If I buy a wireless router, is that all I need to get it working or do I have to get a PCI card as well? What is a wireless USB adapter? Will that work alone with the router or just the router? Confused!! Also what is the difference between B-G and N routers?
No, a wireless router will not work on its own, you need wireless adapters on each computer you wish to connect to it wirelessly (well, the router will work, your computers just won't be able to connect to it). PCI, USB or whatever other slot you have open is fine.

802.11b is limited to 11mbps, 802.11g is limited to 54mbps (108mbps in "turbo boost" or whatever terminology specific manufacturers use). Both B and G work in the (somewhat congested) 2.4 GHz spectrum. I'm not sure what the theoretical maximum for 802.11n (draft) is, but from product pages, it looks to be around 300mbps. 802.11n (draft) can work in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz spectrum. Be careful when shopping for 802.11n routers, though. Not all of them support both frequencies, or even if they do, not all of them can work in both frequencies at the same time.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

If you have a laptop you will be able to connect to it since wireless is built in to the laptop. at the start you will want to plug a system directly into the router to configure it (and secure it)

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's