HDD On Its Way Out!

A place to talk about all things mobile
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

HDD On Its Way Out!

Post by NAiLs »

:evil: :evil: :evil:

My drive is on its way out. It has been powering down for seconds or minutes at a time, then powering back up. It has just stopped working, so I have to reboot. It has also been taking a little longer to open programs as of late. It has also made that really fancy clicking noise. All signs of imminent failure. I did check my defrag status, and it's not by any means terrible. There aren't many fragmented files at all.

Well, the drive that is in my notebook is... err... was pretty sweet. 60GB 7200RPM w/ 8MB Cache. I want to get something similar, but idealy more storage space. 80GB+ is ideal to me as I want to do a dual boot setup on here. My 60GB drive is near full already, and I've only got XP on here. As of posting this, I only have 8GB free on this drive. My external drive is an 80GB drive, which has a back-up of a lot of my things.

Any recommendations? I couldn't find anything above 5400RPM on WD's website, and Maxtor has nothing to offer. Those are the two companies I'm more familiar with and trust because I haven't had any problems with their drives. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg on a drive either.

To be honest, Dell should be paying for the replacement drive, but they won't transfer the FIVE year warranty to my name... It's even a warranty where I get to speak to Americans!
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

If your looking for performancebut only upto 80GB go for an 7200 rpm drive

Seagate have a new 100GB drive, "only" has 5400rpm but is faster because of larger platter....

I would personally only buy seagate... NEVER had a prob with them

I have a 60GB ide drive (seagtae), I have dropped it from 4ft to a concrete floor 3-4 times, had it running in an old P2 rig 24/7 for about 6mths straight and now is in my linux box running 24/7.. NEVER had issues with it.. Also the quietest drive ever

Apop seems to be the laptop guru... He may have some more ideas
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The seagate 5400 drives preform really well because they are only 2 platters and have a higher density than other drives. the replacement drive for your 7200 would be a toshiba drive as far as i know they are the only laptop drive mfg that makes 7200rpm drives.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

That 80GB+ means 80 Gigs or more. More is better, especially if it can be had for only a couple dollars on top of the next model down. Again, I'm planning on doing a dual boot system. I want to put Server 2K3 on my laptop to mess around in my class. Then when school is over, reformat that partition and either put another OS or just use it as different storage.

I'll look into Seagate and Toshiba when I get home from work tonight.. WD makes Notebook drives too, but only 5400 RPM I believe. Either that, or what threw me from them, if they make a 7200RPM drive, it was too small for me.

Why is that 5400RPM Seagate drive going to be faster than my 7200? Or more rather, the 7200RPM Seagate vs the 5400RPM Seagate? Platters and density like mentioned? I want something that's going to be relatively fast because my notebook isn't by any means slow. The only thing slowing it down is the Mobility 9700, which is going to be replaced in the near future.

Thanks!

-Brian
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Victour
Legit User
Legit User

Re: HDD On Its Way Out!

Post by Victour »

I have the 100 Gig Hatchi at 5400 Rpm and Dual platters. It is quiet and seems fast for 100gig check out the site for them.
MSI MB P6N SLI PLATINUM , Intel 6420 Duo Core2, 2 Sata 80 Gig Raid 0 and one PATA Maxtor 80 Harddrive. NVidia SLI 8600 GT OC, Realtek onboard Sound Card because of knowen problems with Creative Audigy and VISTA, PC Power and cooling 510 Watt Power Supply 35 Amp 5V 34Amp +12v. OCZ 2048 Mhz Memory and 1024 Kingston all 667 SyncMaster 245 BW Monitor...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

While no doubt good advice, you might want to check out the last post date to this thread: Thu Aug 25, 2005.

I'm sure Nails has been able to get hold of another drive (or laptop) by now ^_^

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

I know that the end of summer posting gets slow on many forums, but posting to a topic more than a year old is something. :P

Anyways, it would be good to know what HDD he went with. :)
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

oh wow, risen from the dead! :) I barely remember this thread! lol

I don't even remember what happened to the drive, but I do know I don't own the notebook anymore, so it's all good! :) I ended up buying a Dell Inspiron E1705 that I'm somewhat happy with, but I don't think I'm going to buy another Dell notebook.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

stev wrote:I know that the end of summer posting gets slow on many forums, but posting to a topic more than a year old is something. :P
LoLz =D>