Well i have done it, building a Whitebook

A place to talk about all things mobile
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Well i have done it, building a Whitebook

Post by infinitevalence »

I finaly decied that it was time to get a real laptop as my old gateway just did not hack it any more. So with it sold and some money coming in i have orded a new laptop.

Asus Z63A
100gb 5400rpm, 8m cache Seagate HD
1.7ghz Pentium m 400fsb 2m cache
1gb Kingstion PC2-4200
8x DVD-RW Dual layer
802.11b/g Intel wireless
and a second battery

all this for about 1350 with shipping :)
I will take pics and let you all know how my build goes when it gets here. I also plan to OC the CPU by switching it to a 533fsb since its just another Donthan.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

wow, and to think my desktop is gonna run about 350-450 more than that, lol. sounds like a winner, I can't wait to see how you do with it :mrgreen:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

So quick update!

Got it up and running and with a quick wire mod I have the cpu running at a blistering 2.26ghz @ 1.34v, I am priming as we speek so its looking likes its stable :)

more info pending and pics pending, im going to try to get some up tomarrow, but first I have to finish up something for Nate or he will evisorate me :P
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, eviscerate you?? Damn Nate, you're a little hardcore :P; so you did the Wire Trick, Yves? you know you best be careful with that mod, because I've heard people just completely frying their systems with that trick, all because a wire touched another pin on the processor. Just a heads-up in case you already didn't know that. Sounds good though, nice whitebox build :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Yeah did the wire mod, its not the first time i have done that kind of mod. You just have to make sure that its not to long and tripple check the pins. slip that sucker in pop in the processor and fire it up. Im loving this laptop so far, i spent some time tweaking it last night and so far i have been using it off and on, mostly on since 8am and i still have 5hrs of battery life left. Once i get some more time i will undervolt it even farther so i can extend that more. At the end of the day i really cant complain about 2.26ghz with 6-8hrs of battery time when mobile.

Post by Guest »

infinitevalence wrote:Yeah did the wire mod, its not the first time i have done that kind of mod. You just have to make sure that its not to long and tripple check the pins. slip that sucker in pop in the processor and fire it up. Im loving this laptop so far, i spent some time tweaking it last night and so far i have been using it off and on, mostly on since 8am and i still have 5hrs of battery life left. Once i get some more time i will undervolt it even farther so i can extend that more. At the end of the day i really cant complain about 2.26ghz with 6-8hrs of battery time when mobile.
HOLY CRAP MAN, THAT'S INSANE!!!
Nice work!!!! :drool:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Whoa, is that under load or at idle??? That's pretty damn good for a powerful laptop like that. Looks like I might have to come to you when I get ready to build it for little hints. I have a copy of all 3 parts on building a whitebox, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up needing some sort of help later that's not outlined in the article. BTW, blake sent me in your direction concerning a question about water-cooling. I would like to know who's on top of the list as far as water-cooling kits, CPU waterblocks, VGA waterblocks, HDD waterblocks, and RAM waterblocks are concerned, because later down the line, after I get my X2 3800+ setup built and break it in with air cooling via the XP-120, I want to go to water-cooling, because I might decide to really tighten timings on my RAM (which will be OCZ EL Platinum PC4800 Dual Channel 1 GB) and OC my processor a little bit more, not to mention use a custom driver to OC my VGA card (still torn between the X800 series and the 6800GT) and also keep my HDD nice and frosty. I appreciate the help in advance :)