ASUS Z71 Thermal Pad Removal To Reduce Temperatures

A place to talk about all things mobile
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

I totally agree with your statement. I don't care how non conductive something is at the right voltage electricity is going to flow through it. However I used Artic Clean to remove all signs of my crappy AC5 (there was no silver left in it it was just grease) so that couldn't have caused the problem. That and after I cleaned it again and put the thermal pads back in place it still didn't work and actually got worse for awhile. However it sitting all night and then maracuously working in the morning shows me that it could have been left over artic clean that had evaporated overnight. I dunno, it is all very weird esspecially since it is still working and still overclocks after being shorted out... bizzare.

Also, the only reason I have this laptop is my M6Bne broke. Somehow during the night one night the LCD cracked really bad and was unusable and after seeing the price of this thing for only $895 CAD I couldn't resist. Well anyway I RMA'ed the M6 but they wont fix it and it will cost $700 CAD to replace the LCD... hardly worth it. So my question is... what do I do with the M6? I gutted it and put the Proc and harddrive into this one (very happy to find out that the 725 runs at the 533 FSB very well :D) and would like to get something out of it. All I can see is there are three parts I could sell, the ram, network card, and the CD-ROM except thats proprietary. Any suggestions? The ram is 2 x 512 sticks of Kingston PC2700 and the network card is the Intel b/g wireless card.

Also if anyone wants 2 x 512 Kingston PC4200 sticks im looking to upgrade to 2 gig and there up for sale :D
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

killswitch83 wrote:well, arcticsilver.com states that AS 5 isn't conductive, but it IS capacitive, which means it can it can discharge a little electricity if you get it in the way of close-proximity circuits, which is quite possibly what happened. I had the same time happen the first time I used AS 5 on a Socket A 3200+. Accidentally got a little bit near the L4 and L5 bridges. I cleaned it off with 91% rubbing alcohol, but at first it didn't work out too well, it kept wanting to give BSOD's and act funny. I cleaned the core off and used a clean Q-Tip to try and get the rest of the AS 5 off the bridges, once again using the 91% rubbing alcohol. After that, it worked fine, no problems except when my buddy tried to install his old ass HP All In One and really old picture software from HP...gave him hell on that one, lol :rolleyes: . But yeah, you want to make sure you keep the AS 5 away from the PCB on the processor and mobile video card, and surrounding circuits, and of course not use too much because it can run a little. Good to hear you got it stable and running nicely :)
I accidentally fried my old 5600 Ultra in that fashion. Got a little messy with the AS 5.

It was a good card, it didn't deserve such a cruel fate. :P

Thing is, it was working fine for a good couple hours (and with much better temps) before it started showing all the artifacting and ultimately crapped out.

Well..... maybe it was nearly on its deathbed anyway, for some strange reason after putting it in the new system for a few days the temps shot through the roof to something like 127*C and then froze. Which was why I attempted the AS 5 in the first place. Eh... whatever. :P

So yeah... you can never be too careful on cleanup. :mrgreen:
rhino56
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by rhino56 »

i use 90% alcohol to clean thermal residue, it sounds to me like the problem is random and due to something else you may be doing.
you dont set the laptop on your bed or anything do you?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

the problem I've always had with AS 5 is the fact is so thick and glue-like that it likes to get all over the place if you're not careful, I'm still trying to get the application down, lol. I think the next time I plan on keeping plenty of clean pieces of plastic to use as an applicator. I also plan on using the stuff on my 7800GT when I get it, so it should prove interesting I believe.
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

Yes it is messy which is why I use the Artic Clean to clean it up. Works amazing. I just apply it with my finger and smooten it out and clean my finger off with 90% alchohol. If I have rubber gloves around then it works even better.

and the point is my temps were 15 degrees cooler (more then 20 overclocked) then what it was before so It wasnt heat cause the problem although it was acting like it was overheating. the problem was not random is was only when the core was heated up yet it was fine for the first 30 minutes. And then the next mornign it just started working and it still is right now overclcocked to 300/675 perfectly stable. Have been playing WoW for the past 10 hours and not even the slightest hickup (btw 1680x1050 is just amazing)

So yeah, I dunno. I think I need to move on and live with the fact that it works.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

the other this is too that Arctic Silver requires it go through several thermal cycles (hot, cold, hot, cold, you know the drill) to reach its maximum cooling efficiency. It's all part of the break-in process of AS 5 (the AS site specifies all this if you want to check me on it). I think the silver particles in the thermal paste is finally beginning to settle in properly (the break-in is needed due to the shape of those particles). So I'm guessing all is well now man?
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

yeah I knew about teh cycles, and yes all is well :D I also cleaned up my desktop and reaplied AC5 and now I have my 900 mhz overclock back :D it is very good. Need to practice more at lapping though, my lapped surfaces arnt all that great.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

well hell man, you got a good running start there, lol. great to hear everything's well. personally, I have the whitebook bug now, lol :)
rhino56
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by rhino56 »

Bun-Bun wrote:Yes it is messy which is why I use the Artic Clean to clean it up. Works amazing. I just apply it with my finger and smooten it out and clean my finger off with 90% alchohol. If I have rubber gloves around then it works even better.

and the point is my temps were 15 degrees cooler (more then 20 overclocked) then what it was before so It wasnt heat cause the problem although it was acting like it was overheating. the problem was not random is was only when the core was heated up yet it was fine for the first 30 minutes. And then the next mornign it just started working and it still is right now overclcocked to 300/675 perfectly stable. Have been playing WoW for the past 10 hours and not even the slightest hickup (btw 1680x1050 is just amazing)

So yeah, I dunno. I think I need to move on and live with the fact that it works.
you shouldnt apply it with a bare finger, put plastic from a bag over your finger. it doesnt matter if you soak your finger all night in alcohol it still will release oils into the grease.
and the as5 is also toxic and you should try to avoid contact with it.