Jumbo Frame support on a Giga bit Lan

A place to talk about all things mobile
Bal`thzar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Jumbo Frame support on a Giga bit Lan

Post by Bal`thzar »

Ok I have 3 boxes and a laptop on my network at the house ( Why I have all this tech I have no clue but it seemed to make sense at the time ) I picked up a gigabit switch and want to enable jumbo frames but not all of my tech has giga bit lan is there anyway to use jumbo frames and not break half of my network?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

The larger frame sizes are based around the 1000BaseT technology I believe, so no you wouldn't be able to use the systems that didn't have GbE (Gigabit Ethernet) compatibility, or 802.11ab as it's known amongst us Cisco people, lol (I'm a geek :P ); btw, are you using an individual host per switch port, or are you using a hub and connecting to 1 port on the switch. Also, do you have a router for your internet access, or are you using a cable modem?
Bal`thzar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bal`thzar »

almost forgot about this topic I started.

Well I did some research and yes its possible but you need a layer 3 switch (you don't even want to know the prices its insane)

what I would wind up having to do is have my server do the layer 3 translation and use the primary nic to share the internet connection with the gigabit side of the network and the secondary nic (10/100) to get the incomming internet connect from my router and have all non gigabit adapters go to the router. and everything currently is going into the gigbit switch including my wireless access point and then into the router.

*conclusion*

I hooked in the gigabit switch and without Jumbo frames I get about 2.5 times the throughput on my network now which is acceptable to me. the gigabit switch will be nice for Lanparties and I can enable jumbo frames for that otherwise its better off not to enable them because the layer 3 translation is a pain in the butt.

*additional thought*

might be possible to use a secondary nic card (there was a reason they put 2 on deluxe models ;) ) and just have a giga lan to transfer files and the 10/100 for internet and non giga units (shrug) I hate it when I make more reasearch for myself.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, if you like the complicated architecture, go right ahead. personally, if I didn't have that many machines, I would just outfit the ones without Gigabit NICs and stick with the Layer 3 switch. Two questions: how much knowledge do you have on networking (cert's, schooling, etc), and 2. I've heard of Jumbo Frames, but don't really understand where they would be useful. Care to clarify that for me? I would most definitely appreciate it man. :)
Bal`thzar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bal`thzar »

been in the business since the mid 80's before they started all the certifications I personally have never had the need to waste thousands of dollars for a test and a piece of paper <shrug> that is just me. ( though I do have an undergrad degree in CIS)

the layer3 switches that I have seen on the low end will run you about 600 all the way up to 3000 depending so the better solution is a white box.

Jumbo frames are packets that are up to 15k in size ( some will argue 9k but I have seen documentation for both) by fitting more data into the packet you are improving the data rate, your box can only handle so many packets per second hence wanting to increase packet size.

As with anything else in this business when I find an issue that interests me I start to find the solutions. the network configurations that I was mentioning were some things off the top of my head <shrug> I probably won't even set up jumbo frames unless its a lanparty
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Man, well I'm definitely in no contention here, lol. I know some about networking, but mainly about home networking, and the simpler devices used therein. However, I'm taking the entire Cisco curriculum as we speak, which is why I asked about your knowledge on the matter. Your knowledge is quite useful, let me say. And I do know what you mean on L3 switch costs (i.e. Cisco's 2950 switch, kinda outrageous, like you're paying for the name it seems to me, but maybe they provide better security; this is only a Layer 2 switch I think, though, if I'm right about my model numbers). Just got finished with CCNA part 1 Final Exam today, wasn't too bad, but that was only the classroom application part (and it was on subnetting, so I had it done in like 15 minutes, from subnetting the major network address to connecting the physical medium and pinging device to device; we only had about 4 hosts on each WAN [think classroom setting, a decent WAN would have filled the building and then some]). Anyways, always helps to have someone who knows residential and enterprise networking. Thanks for the info.
Bal`thzar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bal`thzar »

never fill the room any more , that is why god invented Blade servers ;)

seriously though once you understand the basic principles you will forget all those you don't use on a regular basis so its the ability to research and adapt that is going to help you in the industry.

well its nice to here that you are learning the CISCO stuff but truth be told jobs right now are so soft its not funny, friend of mine worked for CISCO and they laid off 300 people from his region alone.

remember one thing in this business man.

There is no loyality from business so look out for Number 1 before they Number 2 on you.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, I know that's the truth. they can be very barbaric and cutthroat, but hopefully when I finish I will be able to obtain a position where I can number 2 on people who deserve it (I'm not of the mind where I would be cutthroat and cut good people who know their stuff, but that's just me). My major goal right now is to get out of working in crappy manufacturing plants and get into something that is more suited to my knowledge and intellect, and not to mention the manufacturing job I had to take up doesn't pay crap (That's the South for you, which is why I want to move back up to NY where I'm from and try to find something there). If nothing else, there's always Best Buy, though I worked for the Big Blue Whore before and it sucked. Take what you can get I guess, but I also thought about QS-1, as I know someone who has a job in customer support and my aunt has one in the data processing dept, so I believe I'll check that soon. Anyways, thanks for the heads-up, and I'm really surprised the field is going downhill like that, guess I better think about some certs too.
Bal`thzar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bal`thzar »

you have to remember man that ALL publicly traded companies are responsible to the shareholders first so if there is a chance that earnings per quarter are not going to be met they take drastic measures and they cut people with the higher salaries (techs that is)

my buddy I mentioned was actually on the list to keep his job when they were doing the layoffs, but Management told him to pick 3 people out of 85 getting laid off in his dept to retain thier jobs. Now He knew everybody and told me of atleast 5 people who were having children within 6 months. He couldn't do it so he told them to hiss his A$$ and took the severence package, ( he had another job lined up) but how the hell are you susposed to tell friends that you can't help keep thier jobs but you can to these 3 others <shrug>

as far as your situtation goes, do what you have to do to make a move out of where you are at. Remember finding a job is a job unto itself so you will get out of the jobsearch what you put in. If you put in 30 hours a week looking then you will find one but if you just pop up a resume on monster.com or other sites like that then you get the horns as they say.

Good luck and if I can help holler at a brother
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

You know it....and quite actually I will go to all local companies first, within a 50 mile distance. If I can't find anything there, there's always New York or Connecticut, somewhere up there anyways. I hate to kiss arse, but if I have to in order to keep my own job (unless this was my absolute best friends we're talking about), I will. But maybe the severance package sounds good, I hope I never have to find out, but if I get anywhere in the field, I believe I will. All locals first, then out of state as necessary. I will look all over the country in areas where it's feasible to move to (financially), but only after I get my CCNA and my A.S. in Computer Technology. I might find something local with the A.S., but I really need a change in scenery, been down here for most of my life, so I'm homesick for where I'm originally from.