hot swapping laptop battery?

A place to talk about all things mobile
skier

hot swapping laptop battery?

Post by skier »

is this bad for the battery? i like to pull my battery once it is full because i use my laptop as a music player so it needs to be on for several hours at a time, and i know keeping the battery charging is what kills them, it hot swapping it just as bad? or does it matter

tia
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: hot swapping laptop battery?

Post by Major_A »

Are you pulling the battery out while the laptop is on and charging? And from what I gather it's not overcharging that kills the battery. It's the continuous cycles of it loosing charge and being recharged.
skier

Post by skier »

Major_A wrote:Are you pulling the battery out while the laptop is on and charging? And from what I gather it's not overcharging that kills the battery. It's the continuous cycles of it loosing charge and being recharged.

yes on and charging, if it was off when i pulled it, i wouldnt have said hot swapping (keeping with the term as used with hard drives being removed while still running).

well about 5 years ago i had an mp3 player of the same model as the one i have and use today (i'll get to why i dont use this as a music player in my room). the player had a battery life of ~6hrs initially, how i had it was that i kept the mp3 player plugged into the charger 95% of the time it was in use as it would just be sitting on my desk all day and night plugged into my computer speakers for background or general music. one day i used it while mowing the lawn, so i unplugged it from the charger and carried on my way to the shed to prep the lawn mower. but when i went to plug the headphones into the player and turn it on i got low battery and it promptly shut off. so i thought that was strange as the last time i had used it it still had a life of about 2hrs, so i plugged it back in while i mowed the lawn, sad without music. 4 hours later i turned it on *then* removed it from the charger and it shut off again! in roughly one years time of being on all the time the battery was completely shot.

so i got a new mp3 player with a slightly larger capacity (4GB - 5GB) and a working screen (old one had been stepped on by my dad when looking out the window in my room for some reason- picture 220lb ball of his heel on center of lcd screen. this was one or two months into the players life, the battery still worked just fine after being stepped on and i navigated from my memory (power on ->down->right->down->right->click or go down again for a different playlist/folder)) this one i only charged if it was dead or not fully charged and didnt use at all aside from when i drive my car or mow the lawn. currently the battery lasts up to 3 hrs depending on the playlist (bigger playlist=less life, bigger meaning over 500 songs vs ~100) which i would say is pretty good being ~4 years old. I need a new player just because i'm limited on space now, and the screen doesn't have a single scratch on it (transparent tape is full of win)

so i came to the conclusion that having a battery charging 24/7 is extremely bad for it and total drain from full to dead to full has absolutely no affect on the battery life, or minimal at most anyway. so i use my laptop as a music player because i can easily pull the battery and not worry about it dying or affecting battery lifespan- the laptop is my sisters old one and as i got it, the laptop could not even POST with the battery fully charged (or i suppose it just doesn't get any higher than ~2% charge even though the OS says it is full) so i removed the battery because it was just dead weight as it had to be on the charger no matter what.

TLDR;

which leaves me to this thread, I received a replacement battery for the laptop on monday, it lasts a consistent 3hrs with the monitor on max brightness and while...playing music. this doesnt change the fact it idles at 60C and loads at 100C which is the TJunction, but it has my SSD with a stripped copy of XP and 3GB DDR2 so it boots from off to desktop in 11sec flat even when i set it as a single core cpu (centrino dual 1.66GHz) so i have no problem shutting it off before pulling the battery, it's just an inconvenience.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I know what you're saying the same thing happened with my sister's iPod and alarm clock/dock. I just don't know if that's the cause or not. Seems more than coincidental though.

Pulling the battery out of a running laptop would scare me half to death. I don't know what if anything could happen but for some reason it doesn't seem right. Only use the battery when you need it. Then over time you can tell the rest of us if this does help with the battery or not.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

To me the charging depends on the device and the charger.

My RC batteries I have to baby set them till they are charged to pull them off, too much and they degrade faster, same for discharging them to low.

My kids MP3 player, says not to leave it plugged into a wall charger it will kill the battery. So when they run down I plug them in to charge, this is also the time I switch music out the kids want. Players are 3-4 years old now and still have the same battery life.

My Cell phone, I leave it on the charger over night, use it all day, never have a problem.

My Laptop. The battery got ruined oddly for lack of use, let it set for a few weeks not plugged in. Went to use it and the battery never did get back to its original potential. I was always told to run a laptop plugged in much as you could. The battery when you had to, but if you drained it to charge it fully before going back to battery only again.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson