Can i upgrade the CPU on a pre built Notebook?

A place to talk about all things mobile
Trollhunter
Legit User
Legit User

Can i upgrade the CPU on a pre built Notebook?

Post by Trollhunter »

I wonder if i can take out my celeron 1.7 and replace it with a P4.
I have a Compaq pressario 2100US.

Sorry for this noob question on notebooks :P
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

It all depends on how the chip is in there, some laptops have the cpu soldered on to the motherboard. I could not find anything specific in my quick search. sorry.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Trollhunter
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Trollhunter »

thanks for the help again i hoping to give this thing some extened life so when i try to build my new note book next year i can give my old one away to my litttle bro.
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

you could open the laptop up and see? i had a inspiron 2200 that had a celeron M that was upgraded to a 2ghz dothan. awesome if you ask me! ;)
copperpony_48
Legit User
Legit User

Post by copperpony_48 »

if it is a p4 laptop then it will come with a zif socket usually located at the bottom for ease of use and service then remove the heat sink and you can then replace the cpu with the better one!!!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

doesn't SiSoft Sandra tell you if your CPU is upgradable? I think it does, that's how I found out that my Dell Latitude C640 with 1.7 GHz can support up to 2.4 GHz
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

I think most of today's newer notebook allows you to upgrade the cpu, the question is how long will that effect the battery life as well as cooling solution. The truth is that it may not worth that much to upgrade the cpu as the cpu alone might cost you around 100ish or more but if you look online you can actually buy a new laptop for around 500-600 or even 700 for the pentium M laptop, maybe you can consider sell your laptop and upgrade to a new system.