Dead Pixel Risks.

A place to talk about all things mobile
edrisk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Dead Pixel Risks.

Post by edrisk »

Well I'm getting ready to finally order a barebone.

Only problem is the dead / bright pixel risk. I don't want to spend over a grand to find an annoying bright or black dot in the middle of my screen. This has happend on one of my LCDs and is driving me nuts.

I was wondering what people's experiences have been with dead pixels on laptops? Are they common and in the off chance that I get one ... am I basically skrewed?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've yet to see one (knock on wood) and I've owned 6 notebooks that i personally built over the past two years from ASUS, AOpen, and Compal.

It's a risk you take with any LCD screen be it a TV, Laptop, or Desktop monitor!

Which barebone you getting?
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

LCD quality control gets better all the time, however as with any purchase, reading and understanding the warranty, and realizing that its value comes from the ability of the reseller/manufacter to stand behind it.
Research is the key
edrisk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by edrisk »

Thats a little reassuring. I usually end up buying LCD monitors from best buy or Fry's electronics even when building PCs for customers. I sometimes have to return the same model 3 times before getting a LCD that has zero dead pixels. I tend to be a little anal when I build systems, I sure has hell wouldn't want to buy a PC from Dell and get a dead pixel and I would think the same goes for customers.

As for the chassis, I think I might just get the Z71V. I was really looking foward to the Clevo and the aspect of being able to upgrade the video card in the future. But if its going to cost me $700+ for a similar build except the video card ... I'll stick to a 6600 GO plz.

I guess when that laptop isn't able to do the things I need it to do, I'll either sell it on ebay or keep it as secondary system.

I'm also considering doing the overclock by buying a 400MHZ CPU (like a 1.7) and over clocking the bus to 533. I'm just not sure if I want to risk damaging the system.

Has anyone had an overclocked Z71V for a extended period of time without any problems?

Current System Goal:
Z71V Laptop with 6600GO
1.7 @ 2.16
1 GB Memory
40GB 7200 8MB Hard drive
CDRW + DVD
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

By doing the pin mod and overclocking the 400MHz FSB processor to 533MHz FSB you aren't really overclocking the notebook at all, so no real risk there. The only risk is that the processor isn't stable at 533MHz, but i haven't heard of anyone having issues.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i have my 1.7 oced to 2.23 using the pin mod and have had no problems, and its been like this since day 1.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

Whats this pin mod people are talking about? My Dothan 725 was set to 533 the second I put it into laptop and its been stable the whole time (6 months ago I got it and it was the same chip that was in my M6000N for over a year)

After I found out there are dip switches you can flip... is that what people are talking about?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Bun-Bun wrote:Whats this pin mod people are talking about?.......
http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=3976