Z63A: P M 735 Overclocked or P M 740?

A place to talk about all things mobile
death2all
Legit User
Legit User

Z63A: P M 735 Overclocked or P M 740?

Post by death2all »

ive been browsing the boards for a few weeks now and ive been a little hesitant to get a Z63A until now. i was planning on getting a 740, but a couple posts about overclocking the 735 have stopped me. the 735 has less cache, but is cheaper and will run @ 2.2GHz. am i making a mistake for getting the more outdated CPU. can i still OC the 740?

slightly off topic. is a simple thing as fliping a dipswitch for OCing the 735? or do i HAVE to do the wire/undervolting thing? the bus is already running @ 533 right? and if i was to OC the 740 how much harder would that be. my only experience w/ OCing is w/ my 1st PC which ive had for the last 3.5 years - 1.6A OCed to 2.1.

thanx in advance
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

from what I've been hearing, the dip switch switches the FSB to 533, so it'll OC the chip from 1.6 or 1.7 (whichever it is) to 2.33, but I'm not the expert here, ask Apoptosis for a definitive answer on this one, but this is what I've been hearing. As for the cache differences, that's up to you.....personally I favor more cache over higher frequency anyday, though the 740 has both right? All up to you man :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The 735 has 2mb only its the 400fsb rather than the 533. so its 1.7ghz with 2mb and 400fsb or 740 which is 1.73ghz 2mb 533fsb. If it helps your desision any I have my the Z63A with the 735, and its overclocked to 2.26ghz or the same speed as the Pentium M 780. I say go for it its cheap and well worth the effort :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
death2all
Legit User
Legit User

Post by death2all »

ok i'll start shopping around for a 735 now. what about heat? being a laptop and the CPU having limited space should i worry about overclocking the CPU? will some Artic Silver 5 do the trick? and do i have to do the wire thing to undervolt the CPU or is that to get more out of your battery life?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah undervolting is primarily for preserving the battery, OC'ing would cancel that one out for sure......I don't know what kind of battery life you would get out of the laptop after OC'ing, mileage varies due to variances in their manufacture. Also, Shin-Etsu thermal paste is more recommended by some in here than AS 5, though AS 5 will work extremely well, just ask Apop about the Shin-Etsu paste, he used this when he was taking the thermal pad off his GPU since he ran out of AS 5......it might get warm, but considering the decent OE cooling solution, you'll be fine I believe.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AS5 did help the temps some, but not as much as undervolting. You only need to do the wire undervolt if your not using Windows XP. I use Centrenio Hardware Control to do my undervolting.

You WILL have to do the fsb wire mod if you get the Z63A as it does not have the dipswitch. Honestly its really not hard and only takes a few seconds, just check to ensure you got it right before powering it up. I booted at stock once and then pulled it apart, wiremoded for 533, added some AS5 and slapped the sucker back together and its been running fine ever since.

It does get kidna hot ta 2.26ghz some times under full load i have seen temps close to 60c, but for a laptop this powerfull that really not bad. If you use the Centrino HWC you can set it to dynamic CPU speed so it only clocks up to full speed if it needs to. Thats what i did that way i dont loose my 2.26ghz of power but i still keep the heat down and batterlife maxed. The cool thing is i get mad battery life on this thing with the second battery. If i keep my eye on things turn down the LCD and disable the wireless when i dont need it i can run my laptop for 9hs !!!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i'm actually thinking of selling my processor soon... pentium m 760. it depends on whether or not i want to take it up the butt for an opteron...
death2all
Legit User
Legit User

Post by death2all »

is there a post or link on here on how to do the fsb wire mod? id like to know what im getting into b4 i get the chip. thanx
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

infinitevalence promised some time ago to post a guide (he knows exactly how to do it) but I guess he forgot :mrgreen:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

lol yeah i did let me see what i can come up with...

/me reaches for the camera, Z63A, and a scredriver.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

death2all
Legit User
Legit User

Post by death2all »

thank you very much
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

its why im here :)
death2all
Legit User
Legit User

Post by death2all »

*sigh* the wire mode itself seems easy enough. just a little worried about resell value of my laptop and adjusting the multiplier/voltage part. but that 33% speed increase for less...

P.S. if i plan to sell my laptop in a month or two, should i do this? also how much will i lose if i spend $1050 - 1100 on it now? im sure as time goes by i wont be able to get as much, but will i still get cost? i'm saying this because i fell other online sellers jack up the price.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

death2all wrote:*sigh* the wire mode itself seems easy enough. just a little worried about resell value of my laptop and adjusting the multiplier/voltage part. but that 33% speed increase for less...

P.S. if i plan to sell my laptop in a month or two, should i do this? also how much will i lose if i spend $1050 - 1100 on it now? im sure as time goes by i wont be able to get as much, but will i still get cost? i'm saying this because i fell other online sellers jack up the price.
No one can tell if you did this if you remove the wire mod before you sell it. You are simply tricking the BIOS into thinking you have a different processor. The Intel 735 and Intel 740 are based off the same die at the same fab, so it's not like it wasn't designed to run at a 533Mhz BUS because it was. I'd feel perfectly fine doing it on my notebook and then selling it as is or removing it.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Just don't leave the wire in there if you plan on selling it to another enthusiast, lol.....they'll know for sure after they pull the processor, lol. Just so long as you don't screw up in doing the wire mod (believe me, I've seen desktop ones go really wrong....not too sure about notebooks though) you should be just fine. In concerns with selling the lappie in another month or two, I would say you'd lose around 200 or so at least.....if you wanted to push it, 100.