I'm retarded

A place to talk about all things mobile
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

I'm retarded

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

So after I used Sandra to find out that my laptop motherboard can handle 2.4 GHz CPU, and it only has 1.7 GHz one I decided to get rid of this extra slack by overclocking the CPU (I'm too cheap to buy another one). I have Intel 845 chipset, so the wire mod wouldn't work. I decided to adjust frequency using CPUCooL. So after reading which PLLs it supports, I decided to dive inside my laptop to check which PLL I have and if my PLL is supported. Since I'm at my parents' place now (winter vacations), I don't have my arctic silver here with me. But if I'm not going to touch the CPU, I shouldn't need it anyway, right? Since this is only the 2nd time I take a laptop apart (the first one being a very old 233 GHz Powerbook a few years ago), I don't even know where everything is located in modern laptops. As I take it apart, I see two metal pads under the keyboard: one huge pad to the left, and one smaller pad to the right with 4 screws through it. For some reason, I decided that the chip I want would be under the smaller pad, plus it only had 4 screws as opposed to the larger one with 10 or so. As I start turning the first screw, I feel and hear a spring mechanism under it. I continue unscrewing them wondering why in the world would they make such a silly spring-screw design for this metal plate. Then I pull it off and look at that plate's bottom. So I see this heatsink-like structure, it wasn't for another 5 seconds that I noticed the thermal pad on it that I have now obsoleted. I muttered "****" to myself and glanced back at the laptop to confirm that the object under the pad was indeed the CPU. So now I can't turn on my laptop back on until I get back to school, where I have AC5. And to make things worse, after taking apart the rest of the laptop, I found my PLL to be Cypress W320, one of the unlucky PLLs that don't support frequency changes at all. So now I'm stuck without a laptop until the end of January when I get back to school. Thinking of buying some arctic silver and then giving the rest as a present to my mom :?
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

talk about unlucky, feel for you man. So no laptop for you til Jan ? major drag
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

see if you can borrow some, or get some chepo thermal paste just to hold you over until you get back. Lord knows i have had to do things like that before.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"