recommended antivirus programs

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

recommended antivirus programs

Post by DeusEx »

basically speaking my lappy got f***** up, i ran an online scan and it came up with 1600+ infections. now i know this isnt bull, simply because the reason why i checked in the first place was cause my programs stopped working.

Internet explorer wouldnt even start, said my original files were replaced and it just would work. so i took my internet explorer from my desktop and put it into shared network places. my laptop still wouldnt run it. i did the same thing with firefox and it worked! so now i dont got IE but got firefox.

i notice a slow down in game performance, and other things. now obviously i wont even attempt to fix these problems one by one, ill wipe out everything i got and just reinstall windows.

SO after i got a clean system, Can ANYONE recommend some good antivirus programs ? i used ad-aware before seems to be good for nothing, none the less very popular. i have my firewall enabled. i know that IE is sucseptible to viruses and such so im switching after my OS is cleaned out.

i jsut want th best FREE antivirus/ spyware programs that you guys might use. particularly what ppl lik apops and kenc, kellswitch use 4 protection. THX
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The best free anti Virus i have found is AntiVir http://www.free-av.com/ its good basic and free. You should still relaod your OS if its that infected but this will help keep it clean when you use it in the future.

for spyware removal Adaware and Spybot still are the best two free programs that I know of.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

whoa this works great ! i actually removed the 1600+ that i saw before AND MY internet explorer works again. definately getting after i wipe out my system again !

NOW what are good firewalls ? any recommendations ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx wrote:whoa this works great ! i actually removed the 1600+ that i saw before AND MY internet explorer works again. definately getting after i wipe out my system again !

Kerio Firewall

Sygate is/was also good, but is owned by symantec now, so it's unsupported

ZoneAlarm is good too but..... http://theinquirer.net/?article=29157 :?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i find that most firewalls are more of a hassel then they are worth, using the standard windows firewall is all i do, and only on my laptop. At home a router is a far more effective firewall than any software i have found. The only exception would be the nVidia firewall that you can get on the Ultra and SLI chipsets.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

kenc51 wrote:
DeusEx wrote:whoa this works great ! i actually removed the 1600+ that i saw before AND MY internet explorer works again. definately getting after i wipe out my system again !

Kerio Firewall

Sygate is/was also good, but is owned by symantec now, so it's unsupported

ZoneAlarm is good too but..... http://theinquirer.net/?article=29157 :?
Yea I like sygate firewall too but it sucks symantec bought them out.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

NOD32

Had Norton Antivirus before, but when I installed, NOD32, it detect a few viruses that Norton didnt. Plus, it doesnt hog system resources.
toleman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: recommended antivirus programs

Post by toleman »

DeusEx wrote:basically speaking my lappy got f***** up, i ran an online scan and it came up with 1600+ infections. now i know this isnt bull, simply because the reason why i checked in the first place was cause my programs stopped working.

Internet explorer wouldnt even start, said my original files were replaced and it just would work. so i took my internet explorer from my desktop and put it into shared network places. my laptop still wouldnt run it. i did the same thing with firefox and it worked! so now i dont got IE but got firefox.

i notice a slow down in game performance, and other things. now obviously i wont even attempt to fix these problems one by one, ill wipe out everything i got and just reinstall windows.

SO after i got a clean system, Can ANYONE recommend some good antivirus programs ? i used ad-aware before seems to be good for nothing, none the less very popular. i have my firewall enabled. i know that IE is sucseptible to viruses and such so im switching after my OS is cleaned out.

i jsut want th best FREE antivirus/ spyware programs that you guys might use. particularly what ppl lik apops and kenc, kellswitch use 4 protection. THX
I have Bitdefender, ...works fine, better than my last Norton antivirus