Upgrading from ATI X300 to Geforce 6800 and Cooling issues

A place to talk about all things mobile
GenoBob
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Upgrading from ATI X300 to Geforce 6800 and Cooling issues

Post by GenoBob »

I have an inspiron 9300 currently with an ATI Mobility X300 64MB Video Card. As you can tell by my subject I am planning to upgrade to the Geforce Go 6800. I am curious if there are any extra precautions that I may need to take to ensure that my new video card does not overheat, or if my current hardware configuration will suffice and keep the increased in size video card temperatures at bay. Lemme know what you think, either from a friend or even better, from personal experience.

Thanks,
Geno-Bob
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

There wont be any problems with heat as dell originally sold the 9300 with the option of the go6800 meaning they designed it for that kind of heat. You will however notice a definate increase in the overall heat of the GPU, both idling and playing, but the performance increase will be well worth it.

I presume that you have considered the other 9300 graphic upgrade options, i.e. 7800GTX etc, these do however require additional components (i.e. bigger power adaptor and battery), but the upgrade to go6800 will not.

Will help if you make sure you have the latest dell BIOS installed before you swap the cards out. Not essential, but worth doing.

Have fun with your upgrade!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
GenoBob
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by GenoBob »

Ok, thank you fir the quick reply. Yes I have considered the other video card upgrades, however I donot plan to flash my bios or anything like that just yet. Maybe later though... I did think about it though. Or do you know of where I can get the 7800GTX, larger power adapter and battery offhand for a relatively cheap price?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Upgrading Dell BIOS's is really simple, you just have to run an '.exe' from windows and it restarts your laptop and flashes your BIOS automatically.

There is a good guide for upgrading the 9300, along with part numbers you'd need over here. That forum is full of fellow Dell 17" owners (everything from a 9300 to an M1710) and i'm sure they'd be able to help you with any specific problems you have (of course, I'd hope that you'd still post here now and again :P)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)