Dell Inspiron 9300 Graphics Card Upgrade Query

A place to talk about all things mobile
MasterSpy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Dell Inspiron 9300 Graphics Card Upgrade Query

Post by MasterSpy »

Hello,

I have just joined these forums having read a number of excellent and very helpful threads on the topic of upgrading a Dell 9300 Graphics Card. I currently have a UK Dell Inspiron 9300 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 128MB card. I am currently looking at upgrading to the Geforce Go 6800.

This post is mainly to ask a number of questions which I haven't managed to find the answer to yet:

1) I have noticed that a number of people have refered to a Dell 'Spare Parts' area that sells the Nvidia Geoforce Go 6800 cards which I need to upgrade. Where is this site? Is it only in the USA or is there a similar UK site? Or is it all done by phone?
2) How much do they charge for these graphics cards?
3) If Dell do not sell them, where else can I buy a card that I need to upgrade with?

From what I have read, I should not need to upgrade any of my other components if I just wish to replace my X300 with a Geforce Go 6800. Is the process of replacing the graphics card relatively simple? And is there anything else I need to watch out for, eg, graphics card drivers etc.

Thanks,

MasterSpy.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I dont really want to reffer you straight to another forum, as you might not stick around this one (please do :P) but notebookforums' dell 17"+ fourm are forever doing upgrade mods, so they should be able to help you out, and I think they have some UK members too. I would try to find the part numbers and dell service number off of there for you but I'm really tired today and cant concentrate!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
MasterSpy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by MasterSpy »

Thanks for the help and directing me to the other forum. I have another question now though:

If I was to buy a Nvidia Geforce 6800 Go card from the US, would it be compatible with my UK Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop ie. are American specs the same as UK specs?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

As far as I'm aware they should be, just watch out with the importing as odds are you'll have to pay customs tax on entry to the UK.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)