M 740 Chip - Clock speed problem

A place to talk about all things mobile
alf
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

M 740 Chip - Clock speed problem

Post by alf »

I have an Acer Aspire3620 with a Pentium M740 processor. I have Network Hardware Control software installed and running.

Problem…
When I check the BIOS, it had a clock speed of 1.7 GHz. When I set the hardware controller to max performance, it indicates a maximum of 1297 MHz at 1.308V with a multiplier of 13x (according to the program). I can not get it faster than this speed.

QUESTION…
Is my processor being “all that he can beâ€
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

just a question for you since its a mobile processor when you are testing it I'm guessing its at startup right? and in windows probably. This would mean that it would be down clocked when not running applications as to save battery life. I think at least most mobile processors do this. You could try checking right in the middle of a game or something like that to see if the processor speed has gone up or just plug it it, because I believe when plugged in to a wall they do not down clock. However someone else may know more than I do on the subject.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
Link
alf
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

When windows is running...

Post by alf »

Yeah, the check was done with Windows up and running (1.3 Ghz) as well as from BIOS at startup where it shows the processor speed as it should be (1.7 Ghz). Is enhanced speedstep robbing me of processor Umpf?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You could call it that, or you could call it saving you power. When idling, the processor scales back its clock speed to save you electric. And when you do something intensive it will go full throttle.

If you really, really dont like this, then if you go to the 'display properties' window (right click on desktop > properties), and go to the 'screen saver' tab, then 'power' button. You can change the power scheme to 'always on' or 'minimal power management' (and change the times for the turning off of things to what ever you want) it should cause your cpu to run at full speed all the time.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

you can turn it off i believe either in windows or in the bios if you really want, however you'll get less battery life. Also it should just clock up for the intense stuff so no worries.