Which wireless broadband provider to go with.

A place to talk about all things mobile
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Which wireless broadband provider to go with.

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I am strongly considering going with a pcmcia wireless card. I am currently with cingular for thier cellphones, so i dont know if i will get any discounts with them or not.

But i was wondering if anyone knew? I know there is cingular, Sprint, and Verizon. Oh who to go with????

Yes if i stick with it, i will eventually build a carputer and make it into a mobile wap. :)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Sprint just came out with EVDO Rev.A, which is supposed to be quite a bit faster. I'm not 100% sure how many cities they've converted so far, and I know it's a rolling effort. Also, with Sprint you don't have to have them as your wireless carrier, you can just have an account using their wireless card.

And if I remember correctly, it's around $59/month for unlimited data.

I'm not biased at all :mrgreen: what were the other options again? :roll:

Edti: changed the price, thought it was $49...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

anyone???
itzabo
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by itzabo »

I use a Verizon PC5740. It works great.
I was in a hotel last week and it worked better than
the hotels wireless. And you've got a huge coverage area.

HTH

Bo
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Biggest thing you have to remember is that you will NOT get broadband speeds everywhere!

My in-laws bought one for their internet since they can not get cable or dsl, and a dial up modem would go a whopping 23.8 MAX speed!

They do NOT get broadband speeds where they are because the towers are not upgraded, but they get good enough that it is still fast for them! I think I have seen around 256 speeds where they are.

They have verizon at I think $59.99 a month UNLIMITED - with exceptiosn to users downloading HUGE files constantly ( pirating for those who dont know ;) ) they have been known to cap speeds or charge for excess bandwidth usage.

Mike

If they ever go away I want to put it in my laptop and see how good the speeds are at other places.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

I have heard spring as well but don't quote me on that.