Max amount of wireless connections

A place to talk about all things mobile
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Max amount of wireless connections

Post by Zertz »

...in a DI-524.

I can't find this information, does anyone know how many people can connect to this router at the same time. It's for a LAN I'm organizing, planning to wire 4 people, but I'm not sure how many wireless connections it can take.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Really depends on how much bandwidth each connection is pulling i would think. How many max are we talking? Oh ken a little help?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Not much bandwidth, it's gonna be about 8 of us playing Warcraft 3.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

It depends on the range of DHCP address's made available, In theory you can connect ~253 clients. The problem is that routers route traffic, this means they have an internal routing table and usually a OS running inside them. All this requires RAM, and most home routers have only a few megs of ram.

I've found the max amount of wireless clients for any home router to be around 4 clients at one time, if you go over this, the signal tends to drop..........You can connect more if your only browsing the web, but if the clients are actively using the network all the time, limit yourself to less than 5.
You might be able to connect more, check your router settings and see if you can enable multiple SSID's.

You can get a wireless bridge like this one Link , then connect some PC's via ethernet and share the wireless link back to your gateway. The PC's connected via ethernet will have an advantage over the wireless PC's due to lower ping times though.
You can also get a Linksys router and install modded firmware to enable extra unused ram and also increase the wireless output signal. (check out http://openwrt.org/)
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

So if we have 4 people wired and another 4 wireless it should work properly? And also, one of us has a 10/100 switch, I think it's a Dynex, could I just plug that in the router if we want to wire more people?

Wasn't planning to buy anything extra since it's only a one-time thing.

Thanks for the info, pretty interesting :)
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

you should be fine within the LAN most home routers handle upto 32 wired clients, 8 or 10 with only 4-6 on the WLAN should avoid any serious bandwidth problems.
try the 4+4 way first, attaching via the switch mean those attached, will be limited to sharing the maximum ability of 1-of the 524's port's
How well it work's may depend on the version # of your router, earlier versions had MORE ram, and a larger flash ram chip, later cheaper versions are somewhat crippled :x