Hi everyone

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
norval.geldenhuys
Legit User
Legit User

Hi everyone

Post by norval.geldenhuys »

This is the first computer-related forum I join, so, naturally, I'm new to this! :lol:
I'm not really a gamer; I use my computer more for CAD-applications, a bit of video and audio editing and other nonsense. I'm studying machatronic engineering at the University of Stellenbosch. The system I'm running is only a few months old and is as follows:
- Intel DP35DP board
- Intel QuadCore 2.5 GHz
- 2 X 2Gb DDR2 RAM
- Seagate 250 Gb
- 400W PSU
- GeForce 8600 NT 512 Mb

I'm running Windos Vista Home Premium x32.

I don't really know that much about computers, but would love to learn more.

At the moment, I'm having a bit of trouble with my PC, as it reboots repeatedley after going into hibernation. I have tried to update the BIOS from 0305 to 0484 using Intel's Express BIOS update application (application, run in windows, asks permission to restart and is then supposed to update BIOs upon reboot). This has, however, not seemed to work as the version is still 0305 and the date is 2007, where 0484's date is in 2008. When I try to update the PC displays that it has encountered a POST checksum error. If I then proceed, windows displays only my mouse pointer for about 2 minutes right after I logged in, and then I recieve a message that the BIOS has updated successfully, but it has clearly not (as mentioned earlier).
I'm not really sure what I can do about this problem and hope someonecan help me out.
Thanks very much.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Hi everyone

Post by martini161 »

welcome! :drinkers: as for your problem, you may want to try flashing your bios with a floppy drive, makes it a lot easier
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As something has gone wrong with your BIOS flash via windows, is it possible to flash outside of windows, either via a floppy or USB drive (if your board supports it).

To stop the message popping up, have you tried uninstalling the easy flash program?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
norval.geldenhuys
Legit User
Legit User

Post by norval.geldenhuys »

martini161 wrote:welcome! :drinkers: as for your problem, you may want to try flashing your bios with a floppy drive, makes it a lot easier
Hi. Thanks for the replies. I do not have a floppy drive installed, but the board supports USB booting. How does one make a USB drive bootable though? I've heard that one can also use certain utility programs, which run in a non-windows enviroment (booted from e.g. a CD), to update one's BIOS. Is this possible?
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 2&lang=eng

The second option is an ISO image for the BIOS you want. Just burn the ISO image to a CD and boot from an optical drive.

And welcome to LR.

[Edit: I went to the Intel support site and popped in the model number you listed in your original post. You should probably double-check it on their site.]
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Welcome to the Forums!
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Welcome to LR :supz:

Dan Da Man and everyone will certainly get your problem corrected!

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan