tv to computer monitor

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
ahayes7849
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

tv to computer monitor

Post by ahayes7849 »

I am trying to connect my pc monitor with no hard drive just the monitor to my tv in another room. I have an hdmi port on the tv as well as a rca jack but dont have hi def hooked up. Can it be done?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: tv to computer monitor

Post by DMB2000uk »

Can you explain what you are trying to do a little clearer please, I'm not sure I understand what you want to do.

Are you wanting to use both the TV and PC Monitor (at the same time) on your PC for a multiple display setup?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

If I understand this right, you want to use the monitor as a second TV screen?
You'd have to buy a box which would run the monitor. I tried ADStech's site but it's crashing for me.
They might have what you're looking for.
ahayes7849
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ahayes7849 »

Yes I am going to run both at the same time as multiple tvs. I was told I could use a s video to vga adapter and it would run the computer screen but not sure. I was also told to use a hdmi to vga cable and this would work. I am just not sure. I guess what my main question is will a tv work as an output for a computer screen ?
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Yes, you can use a TV as a monitor, a lot of cards have an s-video output that will plug into the s-video input on the TV, switch the source of the TV to s-video and you are good to go.

Now, you need a special converter box as moon111 said. This will have all of the connections needed to go from, say, a cable box to your monitor.

I have a friend who outputs his Xbox 360 to his monitor, and it looks brilliant, but he has to use a conversion box.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
ahayes7849
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ahayes7849 »

So I cant just use a cable with a svideo on one end and a vga on the other. s video on tv and vga to monitor? I have to have a converter box?
dipu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dipu »

I am trying to connect my pc monitor with no hard drive just the monitor to my tv in another room. I have an hdmi port on the tv as well as a rca jack but dont have hi def hooked up. Can it be done?
How could you run your machine without a harddrive ? if you have a DVI port on your graphics you ca use a DVI to HDMI converter like others said. you can try here http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dvca.html
Good Luck.