Hello, New here and need some basic help.

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
jasta2
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Hello, New here and need some basic help.

Post by jasta2 »

Hello All,
I hope I am not at the wrong forum/site to ask these basic questions. I have a HP P4,XP, computer with dual 512. The video card is listed as a NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 with AGP8X. From what I have read it would support most of the newer(?) video ganes with 3-D. I am not a big game player, but I do like the flight simulators. I just bought a Radio Controll Flight simulator named "Real Flight Basic". I was wrong in thinking my video cars was good enough. The simulator rejects saying that my video card does not full support 'Shaders". So what video card must I buy and install to meet, or supass, this games requirements? Should I replace anything else? If I were to plug my video output directly into a 42" TV and not my 19" monitor, would it work? I was told it would. I figured the computer would not be powerful enough to do this. Sorry, This 59 year old semi retired US Coast Guard Senior Chief need to learn much more about the workings of computer innards!
Thanks,Bill
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello, New here and need some basic help.

Post by DMB2000uk »

Hi Bill,

I'm afraid in computer years your computer is pretty much ready to be retired.

The connector used for the video card in your computer is no-longer being used with new graphics cards, so it's going to be really tough to find a card that you can still buy thatl uses AGP (Your motherboard/graphics card interface).

If you can find any AGP cards, look for a 6600GT or 7600GT, but you have to make sure they are AGP, as some versions of those cards were made with the newer (PCIE) connector and those won't work in your computer.

As it's a limitation of how old your video card is, plugging it into a TV instead of your monitor wouldn't work. And you're probably right, it'd struggle to run on a TV like that.

It's never too late to start learning :partyman:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)