PCIe-2 8 pin connector 2900XT

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

PCIe-2 8 pin connector 2900XT

Post by brites »

One of these days I was looking at the tech specs of the new 8pin connector for pcie-2 and I notice that the 2 aditional pin are both GROUND and that the connector as the same 3 12v lines in it? so what are the ground lines capable of in terms of watts performance? :ANAL:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

they do nothing in terms of Watts from what I have been told... They are just detect wires to enable overclocking features in the ATI drivers from what can tell. I've asked serveral people about this and they just shrug and say I need to talk to a EE.
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

So... if I use two pin's or only two ground cables and the two 6pin pcie pluged in will the ATI overdrive softw unlock the OC... I belive I'm going to try this one out... when I've some free time...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Let me talk to some PSU guys this week and get back to you, so you don't fry anything.
Blacklash
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Blacklash »

On a related note,

Some of the HD 2900XTs come with 6 to 8 pin adapters, like the MSI card.
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

Yes.. i've already noticed that... and some PSU brands are giving then (you only pay shipping) so I'll try that stunt with carefull....
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

If it's really 2 grounds, most likely it can't hurt to make them yourself, you just have to make sure the grounds you add are really grounded.
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

Well for now they are just ground... but I've read that in the near future one of them can be replace with a +12v sensor :shock: ... so one pcie slot 75w+2*pcie connectors 150watts = 225watts thats the TDP ATI claims for this card (with really a very very full load) so putting another +12v line in it is this just a safe precaution?!? or not :rolleyes:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

@brites: I'd also read that but couldn't remember what they were going to replace them with, or where I'd read it to double check what it said >_<

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

PCI-SIG is also working on the scene of the new pcie 2.0 slot to provide up to 300W... being this true what is the point of the new 8pin connector... at this rate we are goeing to be able to warm our homes with computers... so long radiators :finga: