What's holding me back?

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Efflixi
Legit User
Legit User

What's holding me back?

Post by Efflixi »

I was browsing futuremark's ORB the other day and submitted my 3DMark 06 results. I ended up with over 150k results that were better than mine. I really think it's my video card that's holding me back. However, there was someone who had my same video card and had nearly twice the score. Here's my current system:

Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 2.8GHz
3GB DDR2
Radeon x1950xtx
Windows Vista

Now most of the results were from XP obviously, but everything that i've seen shows not too much a difference between Vista and XP with 3DMarks. I tried to overclock my video card but it froze while doing the 3DMark tests and it wasn't even that much of an overclock. What else can i do?
KnightRid

Re: What's holding me back?

Post by KnightRid »

Get all the latest drivers for EVERYTHING on the system, make sure you shut everything down that is running in the background while running the test - especially virus scanners and defrag utilities.

see if there is a bios update for your MB.

try those and see if it helps.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

the latest Catalyst(8.1) has an awesome performance increase, make sure you have it, and i bet XP Pro would give you about 1k more 3dmarks(give'r take) because lets face it, Vista is a failure, not to mention you do not have a DX10 card so there is REALLY no reason to have it ](*,)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

You have 3gb of RAM.

You probably don't have dual channel setup, t can hold you back quite a bit.
Efflixi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Efflixi »

Vista is perfectly fine. My RAM is dual channel. 2 1GB sticks and 2 512MB sticks. I also have the 8.1 drivers.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Just because someone else has eh same video card doesn't meant they'll get the same score as you as there could be other factors which you didn't look into like for example what CPU he is running and its quite possible he was running crossfire.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.