Black Screen on boot (no signal)

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Panda
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Black Screen on boot (no signal)

Post by Panda »

Hi,

I just set up a new system: CPU-i7 920/MB-P6T/Mem-6Gb running vista x32 home
Clean install of OS.

The video card is HD 4850 (single card only, not dual card system)
Power supplty is 850 W (so that's unlikely an issue).

When I load any of the CCC drivers on reboot I see the windows loading, and then the signal is gone. Its not hanging, windows seems to be running, it just stops sending a video signal. I have to boot in safe mode, delete the driver and revert to standard vga.

I've tried the latest drivers, and three archived versions (so a 9.x and 8.x drivers).

I'm kind of stumped, any ideas.

Cheers
P

PS: I did a serach here, but I didn't see any exact same issues (its not x64 vista, not dual video card, its not BSOD its no video signal - I think windows keeps on running, I just can't see it).
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Black Screen on boot (no signal)

Post by Bio-Hazard »

How long did you let it boot before you tried resetting. Sometimes after the first install of the card and drivers it takes a long time (seems like anyways) before the card comes back online. Try letting it run for awhile , at least until the HD is finished doing it's thing...........;)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Had a board that didn't like add in cards with out manually disabling the onboard VGA. Try that and see what it gets you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

how old is your monitor and is it at least a brand name? lol Had to ask since my buddy's no-name brand monitor doesn't like the pc I sold to him(no signal, but it seems ok now after the new driver). I thought his refresh rate(60hz) wasn't liked but it happened to all resolutions at all refresh rates. so his could just be old and crap
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Panda
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Panda »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

And the winner is .... (drum roll)

The monitor.

I hooked the PC to my TV (via dvi-rj32 - not sure right name - old school video plug) and it worked. I also noticed that my PC Monitor was not being detected by the PC, and was using 'default monitor' rather than a 'plug n play'.

Moving the PC back to the PC Monitor using dvi-dvi same old problem (black screen after Bios and before Windows login). If I use a dvi-rj32 though it works.

So not sure what is going on. Right now all seems to be working, but I'm not sure what the down side is, if any, of connected via the monitor's rj 32 port, and not using dvi all the way.

I take back all the abuse I swore at ATI, the latest driver worked fine.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
P