AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix Drivers Coming Today!

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix Drivers Coming Today!

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD just sent Legit Reviews an e-mail letting us know that they are getting ready to release Catalyst 11.1a hot-fix drivers!

They are working on finalizing posting with their Graphics Web Team tonight, so expect a download link to be posted here on Legit Reviews in the morning when we get back to work!

Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix

The latest Catalyst Hot-Fix; (11.1a) offers increased performance brings a slew of new features and should be the driver used for any performance testing. Below are a few of the highlights from this driver:

Performance improvements for the AMD Radeon HD 6800 & HD 6900 series include but not limited to:

AMD Radeon HD 6900 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series:
· 3DMark Vantage improves ~7%
· 3DMark06 improves ~3%
· Call of Duty Black Ops improves ~20% at 4xMSAA and up to 35% at 8xMSAA
· Riddick Assault on Dark Athena SSAO performance improves ~20%
· Unigine Heaven OpenGL performance improves ~10% at moderate, 30% at normal and 100% at extreme tessellation levels

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series:
· Aliens vs. Predators improves ~9% at 2xMSAA and up to 20% at 4xMSAA
· Batman Arkham Asylum improves ~4%
· Crysis Warhead improves ~2-4%
· Metro 2033 improves ~28% at 4xMSAA

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series:
· Battleforge DirectX 11 performance improves as much as 6%
· The Catalyst Control Center includes an early prototype of some new tessellation controls. Our goal is to give users full control over the tessellation levels used in applications. The default selection “AMD Optimized” setting allows AMD, on a per application basis, to set the best level of tessellation. The intention is to help users get the maximum visual benefit of Tessellation, while minimizing the impact on performance. Currently no applications have been profiled, so the “AMD Optimized” setting will be non-operational until further notice.
· The “Use Application Settings” option gives applications full control over the Tessellation level. Users can also manually set the maximum tessellation level used by applications with the slider control
· The long term goal for the “AMD Optimized” setting is to use the Catalyst Application Profile mechanism to control the AMD recommended level of tessellation on a per application basis. AMD’s intention is to set the tessellation level such that we will not be reducing image quality in any way that would negatively impact the gaming experience.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix Drivers Coming Today!

Post by hark »

That's pretty cool, though I see that it only deals with the HD 6XXX series. I'm hoping that at least some of these apply to the HD 5XXX series, but it just wasn't mentioned. Interesting bit on tessellation. It should prove useful if applications go crazy with the tessellation and offer no options to tone it down.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It looks like these have been delayed...

I just shot some e-mails back and forth with AMD and this is what they said:
I came in this morning and it seems as though our Driver Team had a few more last minute tweaks/changes which in turn delays the process for certification and testing and now the new date is firm for next week. The driver is a “release candidate” and we’re currently working on WHQL certification, the Driver Team is keeping me informed as to when it’ll go live. I’ve now been told that they’re working on a timeline to have it out by mid-next week, so most definitely either Wednesday 25th or Thursday 26th .
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Dang, I was looking forward to trying these out when I got back today. Ah well, better that it be released later than with flaws.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Drivers are up: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... loads.aspx

Downloading now.

edit: Yeah, it doesn't seem to do much for my HD 5870. The interface is nicer and there may be a slight improvement in performance. By the way, does the HD 5000 series not support MLAA? I cannot find the option anywhere.