New gfx card, no video, no usb power, other gfx card works f

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
screwloose45
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

New gfx card, no video, no usb power, other gfx card works f

Post by screwloose45 »

So my fiance bought me an XFX 5770 for our two year anniversary a couple day ago. When I got around to installing it, I got nothing. No video from either DVI or HDMI. I also noticed that my mouse wasn't getting any power (USB). Also, the hard drive activity light would blink at an exact rate (about .75 seconds). My motherboard, XFX 590 has an LED display on it which displays errors codes, this was resetting at the exact rate (and in sync) as the blinking of the hard drive activity light. So I'm thinking it's a bad card, or it's underpowered? I have a 600W PSU and XFX recommends 480 so I should be good there. I even unplugged all the hard drives and fans and then tried, still got nothing. I reset the CMOS, tried a different power connector, etc, etc.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards it being DOA. Thanks.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New gfx card, no video, no usb power, other gfx card wor

Post by lordvic »

I can think of a couple reasons so far; see if these help.

1. Old drivers (or leftover driver filies) from your older graphics card are still present. Uninstall your old driver and run a cleaner (like CCleaner) to remove any of the leftover driver files found in the registry, etc. Your old drivers may be causing the conflict with your 5770.

2. Make sure the card is seated correctly in the PCI-E X16 slot. I've seen/heard people say that a motherboard capacitor or something could be in the way, so check if the card is in all the way. Make sure the power connector is plugged in securely (ie the little power connector clip is "locked").

3. Your nVidia chipset is not compatible with the AMD 5770 card. I'm not sure if these still existed for the Nforce 590 SLi, but nVidia chipsets don't work well with ATi/AMD products...

OH, just found this:
"590 SLI chipsets do not work with the PCIE 2.1 cards. The support for most of them was dropped back in 2006-2007. You would need a different motherboard for this card or a different card for this motherboard. Basically any motherboard that is still able to be purchased from a major retailer like Newegg will support this card. Any PCIE 2.0 card like an HD 4000 series or any of the NVIDIA cards should work in your motherboard."
-XFX

It may be that your old 590 chipset is not compatible with newer cards...but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT:
4. You may have to update your BIOS to support the newer card. The 5000 series was released in 2009 so...
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
screwloose45
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by screwloose45 »

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I think it just may not be compatible, which is stupid. I'm not really up to date with my computer tech, what motherboard would you suggest for an AMD X2 6400+ Black Edition?
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

screwloose45 wrote:Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I think it just may not be compatible, which is stupid. I'm not really up to date with my computer tech, what motherboard would you suggest for an AMD X2 6400+ Black Edition?
Let's see the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ was only made with the "Windsor" core, which is 90nm technology...which is socket AM2.
AM2 CPUs will work in AM2 or AM2+ socket, but not AM3 because the AM3 sockets do not support DDR2 (only DDR3). This means any motherboard that supports AM2/AM2+ and DDR2 RAM will work.

With that said, here are some:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131595
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130237
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157186

The Athlon 64 CPU s are becoming outdated a support for them are becoming less and less. If you even plan to get a Athlon II CPU or the budget Phenom II Quads, the above boards will be fine.

These board only support CPU with a TDP fo 95W or less; a Phenom II 1090T, Phenom II 940/955 will not work. Skier said that a 95W version of the Phenom II six-core 1055T is available, but I haven't seen it around yet.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Try a BIOS update before you buy anything. I'll give a short anecdotal story...
I built my brother in law a new machine a few years ago. For the life of me I couldn't get the machine stable. It was Blue Screening and rebooting on it's own. Finally after trying different RAM and a new power supply I looked for a BIOS update. To my surprise the latest update (at the time) was to fix "stability problems with certain graphics cards". I applied the update and all was right in the universe again.
screwloose45
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by screwloose45 »

Thanks for everything, very helpful. I decided to say screw it and just go and exchange it. As far as I can tell, it just wasn't compatible. Went and exchanged it for a PNY XLR8 GTX 460 :mrgreen: Always preferred nvidia anyway.