AMD 28nm GPU Demo w/ Radeon HD 7000 series video card

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD 28nm GPU Demo w/ Radeon HD 7000 series video card

Post by Apoptosis »

We got a chance to sit down with AMD and see the very first graphics processor (GPU) built on TSMC's cutting-edge 28 nanometer silicon fabrication process. To see silicon running on this manufacturing process is a great sign and it goes to show that 28nm discrete GPUs should be entering production very soon. AMD didn't have much to say about the GPU other than the fact that it was next-generation and built on the 28nm process.

The GPU was shown running an AMD APU powered mobile development platform (it looked like a Llano rig) running the game Dirt 3 in DirectX 11 mode. AMD wouldn't mention any of the image quality settings or the screen resolution, but the game was playing pretty smooth and we didn't witness any crashes or glitches when we were there to look at the demo.

The 28nm GPU is more than likely part of the upcoming AMD Radeon HD 7000 series, which is pretty cool to see running already. Since the development platform was running a mobile system the prototype video card was using a MXM socket. We don't know if this video card will be PCI Express Gen 3, but we are sure that information will come out in due time.

The video card was sporting the traditional red PCB that we are used to seeing from the ATI days and was kept cool by a small copper-channel air cooler. AMD said that the GPU being showing was a mainstream offering. AMD was pretty very quiet about the video card and told us we'd have to wait for more details!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD 28nm GPU Demo w/ Radeon HD 7000 series video card

Post by hark »

I'm really looking forward to the full release of the HD 7000 series. From what I've been hearing, it should be a really big improvement over the HD 6000 series. I wonder if it'll turn out like the HD 5000, which was a huge boost over the HD 4000 and had no Nvidia equivalent for a long time.