Crossfire ref 6950 with twin frozr 6950

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Crossfire ref 6950 with twin frozr 6950

Post by enjoiflip »

Hey guys, i've got the ref 6950 and i may be able to get the MSI twin frozr II much cheaper. So would like to know if i could crossfire these two cards together, or do i have to get another ref card? Im sorry if its a stupid qns cos my concern is the different stock clock speeds. Thank you. :)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Crossfire ref 6950 with twin frozr 6950

Post by vbironchef »

I could be wrong but I believe that the two cards have to have the same clock speeds. Better get the reference card and not have to return the overclocked card. Just remember that once you get a second card you can o.c. both of them yourself. If you buy the over clocked card your crossfire will work with the stock speed only. Unless you over clock your reference card as well. At least that is what I think. Wish I was absolutely positive though.
Last edited by vbironchef on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

you can cross fire them together, just the clock speeds will be what the slowest card is. and then yes you can overclock them together.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

I have these exact cards crossfired together in the system I am on right now. Works just fine.

ASUS 6950 reference design
MSI 6950 Twin Frozr 2

The MSI will slow down to the reference design card's clock speed by default. However you can OC both, depending on your reference card you probably have quite a bit of OC ability there to get it closer to the MSI's speed.
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! Alright i'll go ahead with the purchase since it isnt a problem. Glad to know you've got the same setup mate! You've assured me well enough :supz: