Annoying issue

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Annoying issue

Post by sbohdan »

I have a HD5850 card in my other rig and sometimes the speed drops back for no visible reason from 765/1050 to 400/900. I have to restart the computer to have it back on default. It seems like a driver issue but I never even heard of this and it realy pisses me off when during gaming, the framerate drops from 45-50 to 23-27.

Any solutions?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Annoying issue

Post by sbohdan »

Problem solved!

In case anyone has the same problem:

Oddly enough, this problem was caused by Flash. For some reason, Youtube + Chrome/firefox + Hardware acceleration downclocks the card. I have not tested this with my other rig to see if it happens there as well, and I have not tested it with any other browsers, nor have I tested it with different Flash sites. So I don't know if this is a universal Flash thing or not. Either way, there are two ways to solve this:

1. Don't watch Youtube videos. And if you do, make sure to close the tab/window afterwards, as even when idle, Flash seems to downclock the card.

2. (much better solution) Turn off hardware acceleration. Right click -> Settings -> Uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration"

I think, flash player is the most hatefull annoying software piece of crap ever invented...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Velo:Sity

Re: Annoying issue

Post by Velo:Sity »

YouTube also has HTML5 player.