Flashing x800gto w/ R480 core.

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Jisamaniac
Legit User
Legit User

Flashing x800gto w/ R480 core.

Post by Jisamaniac »

I know this topic has been discussed about already, but I do have an x800gto card that has a R480 core. I went to http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/827/2 ... /index.htm. I did what they told me to do, but I failed to unlock my extra 4 pipelines. Anyone know of a site that I can use to help me unlock my card or if anyone knows how to. It would be very appreciated if anyone could help me out.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

What happend when it failed?
Because if it was done right and it failed....then your not going to be able to enable the extra pipes!
The reason why the chip is a gto is because it couldn't run as xtpe.....

Check out this guide too...
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/ove ... idcard/127
You could try their bios files!
Jisamaniac
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jisamaniac »

I would restart my computer press F8. Get into DOS mode that way. I would type in what http://www.tweaktown.com said to do. After I typed out what they said to do in DOS, it just said to reboot and try again. Thats all it said.So I reboot my computer and open up atitools and it still says that I have 12 pipelines still. The website that is posted I copied EVERYTHING that it was said to do. I even had my dad help me out (a DOS veteran) the samething happened.
Last edited by Jisamaniac on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Jisamaniac wrote:I would restart my computer press F8. Get into DOS mode that way. I would type in what http://www.tweaktown.com. After I typed out what they said to do DOS just said to reboot and try again. Thats all it said. The website that is posted I copied EVERYTHING that was said to do. I even had my dad help me out (a DOS veteran) the samething happened.
Don't do it that way....Create a boot disk (floppy)...copy the bios files over and boot from it....then run the flash program.....backup your bios too!

What happened after you done it the last time?
Jisamaniac
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jisamaniac »

I also did the boot up disk. I back up my bios. I tried to flash my card w/ my new bios off the floppy, then it just would say after i would type in the commands. It would say please reboot your computer and try again...

That is it. I would open up aitools and then try to see if my pipelines were unlocked, and they weren't
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

If you flashed it correctly and it doesn't work, then I'm afraid that's it......

The card must have faulty pipelines, that's why it is a GTO and not an X850!!!!!

You can still get a good aftermarket cooler and Overclock the old fashioned way ;)

checkout the link I posted earlier and d-check you didn't miss anything....
Also make sure you just didn't backup your bios, the re-flash your own bios!!!
Heretic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Heretic »

The guide you (OP) posted was for the Sapphire X800GTO^2, not the X800GTO.

This page: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//ov ... card/127/4
is what you want. You might've been trying to use the wrong bios. The guide also tells you what the Fuses data should look like for a moddable card, so you should check that as well.

Also, some of the latest C3D X800GTOs haven't been unlockable.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

only the c3d x800gtos had the abiltity to unlock otherwise you needed the sapphire gto^2 all other x800gtos did not work.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

thats not quite true... it depends on how the card is set up, if the fuses are right they can be unlocked.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

I have the connect3D X800GTO and after trying and failed I found a utility that checked to see if the chip was locked which confirmed why I failed in getting the chip unlocked. Maybe there is a utility like that for the Sapphire?
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Just a thought what bios did you flash onto the x800gto? the x800xt bios or x850xtpe bios because I'm using x800xt bios and it worked but like they said some just wont work thats why they are gto's however at least the first batch a large majority did work.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

BTW Something I meant to add a long time ago is that a lot of the flashable c3d x800 gto's were the r423 core not the r480 core if you had one of them they were flashable thats why I used the x800xt bios since thats the card that used that core.Techpowerups article on it
just thought this needed to be said.
aerodigital
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by aerodigital »

kenc51 wrote:If you flashed it correctly and it doesn't work, then I'm afraid that's it......

The card must have faulty pipelines, that's why it is a GTO and not an X850!!!!!

You can still get a good aftermarket cooler and Overclock the old fashioned way ;)

checkout the link I posted earlier and d-check you didn't miss anything....
Also make sure you just didn't backup your bios, the re-flash your own bios!!!
"The Sapphire (not necessarily) has a 100% chance of unlocking the pipes and around an 85% chance of reaching X850XT PE speeds..." Was also quoted on another forum which had tested it. It works, dont give ATi advice when you probably have a Nvidia card in your machine. I love my GTO its got 16 pipes and it AGP, just depends which core it has.

..."X800GTO2 which is the card that unlocks 100% of the time to the full 16 pipelines and around 85% of the time can be overclocked to full X850XTPE speeds"

R480 is the typical core. R23 and R30 have different abilities like comparably high OC rate.