Sapphire apologizes for 128 bit 9800 PRO cards

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sapphire apologizes for 128 bit 9800 PRO cards

Post by Apoptosis »

A little late if you ask me, but Sapphire is putting a prominent 128 bit sticker on the box to help people tell the difference on their 9800 Pro Cards.

The 128-bit card will be called the Sapphire 9800 Atlantis and PRO will be reserved only for 256mb versions, to avoid future customer confusion.
SAPPHIRE Responds to 128-bit RADEON 9800 ATLANTIS Product Confusion
Since the roll-out of the SAPPHIRE 128-bit version of RADEON 9800 PRO core into the
channel it has been brought to our attention that this model is being met with some confusion and for
this we would like to extend our sincere apologies. Keeping with our level of interaction within the
community, Sapphire is moving to alleviate said confusion by renaming the 128-bit version to the
SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 ATLANTIS and we are instructing each of our retail partners to clearly
and prominently list the 128-bit specification. Further to this end, the SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800
ATLANTIS 128-bit products boxes will now be labeled with an oversized 128-bit sticker on the
boxes face as well. Inquiries have been made into our retail partners and the investigation has
yielded no findings that any of our loyal customers have been charged the 256-bit price for the 128-
bit part. SAPPHIRE encourages any of our customers who purchased a 128-bit part under the
assumption that it was 256-bit part to exercise your right to return your product. Should you have
difficulty finding satisfaction with your retailer, SAPPHIRE continues to stand firmly behind our
products and asks you to contact SAPPHIRE directly.

For end users in the U.S. who can not return the product to the supplier feel free to contact 909-594-
3128. You will need to present the product, sales receipt and provide the discounted retail price
difference of US$25.

For end users in Asia contact +852-2687-8888 and request the procedure for upgrade.

SAPPHIRE welcomes any and all inquiries into this matter in keeping with our commitment to our
customers and welcomes the opportunity to continue to help outfit the gaming community with the
industries most widely respected and innovative products."
PR Linky
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Well im glad they did something about it. It was fairly under handed naming them pro with only 128bit memory bus. Most people have no idea how much of a difference that can make and just see the price tag and think "oo 9800pro thats a good card and its cheap too."
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

how do I know which one I have?
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I thin you can check it on the box, if you still have it, it should write if you have 128bit memory bandwidth.
Maybe there's a way to check out from software, I'm not sure...Try the ATi properties, maybe one of them gives this info.