9800 Pro to 9800XT

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

9800 Pro to 9800XT

Post by LVCapo »

Guys, I've read much on this topic and still am a little confused about this. I bought the 9800 Pro with 256 MB. I pulled it apart and couldn't read any of the writing on the mem or GPU, but ATI tool says it is the R350 core.
I am wondering if I can flash the bios to the card and get any improvement off of it? i O/Ced the card last night to 412/365 like they recommended to test for stability, no problems but it did raise my temps 2C.
Do you think I would see much if any improvement from modding this card? Will it work with the R350 core?
I ran Aquamark last night and got a 49,000 running default values, I was getting 27,000 on the Nvidia 5700 ultra.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

I dont think it will work as well, because its not the R360 core... so nope....
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It can't be flashed to XT, and it should work fine, but you won't see any real improvements. I tried it on my 9800Pro 128 with a modified Bios and it worked but I didn't gain anything except higher temps. It will run alot hotter after the flash and so will your vid ram. You also need to check to see what type of ram your card has on it as the first 9800pro 256 used GDDR2 and the newer ones and the XT's use GDDR. Here's something good for you to read, it'll help you out alot.
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?lo ... =92&var2=0
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yeah, i wasn't sure, but there is alot of conflicting opinions on it. Over at the O/C forum alot of people have tried it and some did well, others didn't. some claim it works on the R350 some say it doesn't... then some say the R350 works as well if not better than the R360. I'm pretty happy with what it is doing now. I just need to make up my mind on a Mobo and stick with it. i can't decide between the Abit or the LanParty board.