9800XT w/ Half-Life 2

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!

When do you think Half-Life2 will be released?

Just before Christmas
42%
February
8%
April
33%
No clue
17%

Total votes: 12

Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

9800XT w/ Half-Life 2

Post by Illuminati »

Well, we all have seen the number of reviews of the ATI Radeon 9800XT that were posted last week. It was then that we also learned ATI would be packaging Half-Life2 with the 9800XT...

Now there are many rumors going around about whether or not Valve will push the HL2 release back as late as April.

What does everyone think about this, and what is your prediction?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Hey all, don't forget that you can post a comment when you vote as well... I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.
Justin West
loz

Post by loz »

I'm guessing the game is going to be released sometime in 2004 with April the penciled date.

I also read somewhere that the XT cards will now be shipped with a 'Half-Life2 coupon'.

Sounds exciting :D
Loz Bain
European Senior Reviewer
Legit Reviews LLC
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

ya... that is entirely possible...

I also heard that it is possible that you will be given information to download the game when it is released as an alternative to having to go to a store and use the coupon.
Justin West
Locutus
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Locutus »

Illuminati wrote:ya... that is entirely possible...

I also heard that it is possible that you will be given information to download the game when it is released as an alternative to having to go to a store and use the coupon.
Hmm, interesting. I am just wondering how the coupons will work? If you just go to the place of purchase of the card, and pick up a copy there? If you need to mail/ring ATI in your country to get it, or whatever....

I wonder how it'll work in AUS.

Dowloading would be a great option for me, if I wasn't on 56k :-(. If you downloaded it, you still wouldn't own the origional copy, with manual and such, so I don't really like that idea.
morosis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by morosis »

I'm hoping before Christmas, but it's not looking good.

I don't like the idea of downloading it either, I'd prefer to have a hardcopy (in the form of a CD or DVD, hopefully the latter :D).
Sex is like software, it's better when it's free.
kpothuwila
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by kpothuwila »

Christmas release would've increased 9800/9600 XT & HL-2 sales dramatically but doesn't matter I'd rather wait than buying it with bugs & errors.

The coupon system should be a hard copy system, not software.

I reckon it should be like this : you have to show the receipt of 9800/9600 XT & the coupon to any shop selling gfx cards(not the same shop you bought your card)
loz

Post by loz »

I read that the coupon will have a scratch off tab with a unique ID. You then have to phone up a company or someone (can't quite remember) and quote your unique ID. Once it's confirmed you then HAVE to pay for shipping of a CD copy of HL2.

Or you can enter your ID via Valves new software, STEAM, to download it.
Loz Bain
European Senior Reviewer
Legit Reviews LLC
wildabeast
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wildabeast »

I have heard of the unique ID thing to. I still think that the game is going to be out around Christmas. I mean it would be crazy to hold it off to much longer. They have such a great upper hand on ID and it's Doom 3. Doom 3 looks to be held off until next year to. So why not get all of our money before ID. :D There is still the whole theft thing that happened to. Oh well who knows but Valve. It just sucks to have to wait so long. :cry:
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Well, by now we all know how HL2 is packaged with ATI's newer graphics cards... and we can pretty much rule out that HL2 will be released before Christmas... So now when do you think HL2 will be released?

I'm guessing April since it has pretty much been out of the press all month.
Justin West
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

My 9600XT came with the coupon. I sent in the requested info and hopefully I will be seeing my copy of HL2 when it is released.

Alister
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'd like to say this summer sometime, but I think a safer guess would be right before Christmas.......... 8)