Is extended warranty on a console worth the money?

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!

Which warranty to get for my new 360?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Get the M$ warranty for $60
20%
Get the BB warranty for $80
No votes
Forget the warranty, have some cheese instead
80%

Total votes: 10

Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Is extended warranty on a console worth the money?

Post by Sporg »

Okay, I generally don't buy the extended warranty crap on electronics as I rarely have had problems. I recently picked up a 360 Elite and I know that M$ had a ton of problems with the red ring. I read somewhere how they are now using a different board and that it is supposed to be pretty solid. The manufactured date on my box is either October or November '07 (at work, can't remember for sure). Anyway, just curious what you guys thought, get the warranty or no? The 2year warranty through M$ is $20 cheaper than the BB warranty.

I luckily got the warranty with the original Xbox and I think I'm on my 4th. I don't abuse my stuff at all but just had a string of bad luck getting a box to work more than 3 months. This last one I've had for 3 years without a glitch.

A few of my buddies have the 360 and none of them got the extended warranty, and none have had the ring of death either.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
allenpan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Is extended warranty on a console worth the money?

Post by allenpan »

i dont need it, since i mod consoles and i also do know how to repaire it...but is i am getting for someone else i will get them M$ warranty
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I think 360 now have a 1 year warranty. i wouldnt bother with the extended
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The 360 Actually has been upped to a 3 year warantee against RROD, so you shouldn't really need any extended warantee.
While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date.

A good way to check if you have the updated fix without cracking open your xbox is to shine a light into the top (or bottom, i forget which) and see if you can see a heatsink immediately behind it, if there is just open space, it's not got the revised heatsink. Here is what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8Sud08Qas.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Thanks for that link Dan, I do have the new heat sink.

Thanks to everyone's input, guess I'll go without the warranty since the RROD is covered and that seems to be the biggest problem these things have had.
~Bertrand Russell
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I wouldn't waste my money on the warrenty either but by deciding to not get the extended warranty, you've left a very important question unanswered:

What kind of cheese have you decided on? :shock:
AnGeLs ToRmEnT
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AnGeLs ToRmEnT »

i would go chedder and get some bread and kechup so i could make cheese on toast :)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I commonly buy my consoles at WalMart where the 2 year extended warranty is only $28. It's hard to beat the kind of service you get from WalMart and they are the best for returns / refunds.

I picked up that warranty when I bought my xbox360, which had numerous problems...I am now on my 3rd console and WalMart made it all very easy and fast. I just bought the PS3 and decided to go with the extended warranty on that as well...well worth the money IMO.

Most of the time an extended warranty is not worth it...but in the case of expensive consoles with known issues, it is.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Smoked Gouda :mrgreen:
~Bertrand Russell
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

DMB2000uk wrote:The 360 Actually has been upped to a 3 year warantee against RROD, so you shouldn't really need any extended warantee.
While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date.

A good way to check if you have the updated fix without cracking open your xbox is to shine a light into the top (or bottom, i forget which) and see if you can see a heatsink immediately behind it, if there is just open space, it's not got the revised heatsink. Here is what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8Sud08Qas.

Dan
Yes Dan but the Xbox 360 is very Chronic in scratching up disc's we have had rentals that worked when we got them and then didnt work when we gave them back.
I know two different people with Xbox 360's and both have Had to be sent back Twice for scratching up disc's both times. Not only that for the second time back (after 1 year warranty is up) they slug you $143 for it to get fixed! I think the extra warranty is worth it for that Micro$oft piece of Poo
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

and people are putting down PS3s so much. Seems to me that MS just wanted that extra year of sales and failed to make a good product.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit