Pandora's Box

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Pandora's Box

Post by Alathald »

I just ran across an interesting new handheld console called pandora, it "runs Linux on a next-generation ARM SoC with integrated OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics processor." which basically means anyone can create a game for it because it's completely open standards. A few interesting tidbits:
In terms of processing power, its designers claim Pandora will compare to Nintendo's GameCube [...] Since few games are available for native Linux, GP2X supports a variety of game emulators, including MAME, SNES, Genesis, and PC Engine. This lets users enjoy a variety of game titles originally written for other platforms. Pandora will initially offer full-speed PlayStation 1 emulation, says the group, with N64 emulation planned in a later release.
[...]
OpenGL ES 2.0 enables 3D graphics processing at several million polygons per second, says OpenPandora. The low-power PowerVR SGX is designed specifically for processing 3D graphics and video on wireless-equipped mobile devices. Built around a tile-based, scalable, multi-threaded processing engine, the processor is touted as being able to encode and decode video at DVD resolutions.
[...]
The Pandora is loaded with "Open2X-style" Linux firmware, says OpenPandora, but notes that Debian ARM packages will "probably" be accepted [...] The Pandora can run X11 with a window manager and desktop environment, says OpenPandora, and it can also run most modern Linux programs, including Firefox 3.0.
[...]
Here are the specs for the Pandora:
  • Processor -- TI OMAP3530 with PowerVR SGX GPU
  • Memory -- 128MB DDR SDRAM; 256MB internal flash
  • Flash memory expansion -- 2 x SDHC
  • Display -- 4.3 inch touchscreen LCD with 800x480 resolution and 5:3 aspect ratio; 300 cd/m2 brightness; 450:1 contrast ratio
  • I/O -- 802.11g WiFi, USB host, RS232 serial
  • A/V I/O -- TV-out (supports picture-in-picture); A/V-OUT (S-Video and Composite); 3.5mm headphone/microphone cables
  • Other features -- directional pad; 2 x analog nubs, real-time clock
  • Dimensions -- 5.5 x 3.3 x 1.1 inches (140 x 83 x 27 mm)
  • Battery -- Lithium-ion; chargeable via AC adapter or USB port
  • Operating system -- Open2X-style Linux firmware
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7004794073.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pandora's Box

Post by DMB2000uk »

That looks like a souped up DS :P

I wonder how long the battery life is. It's all right if it has all that power and a pathetic battery life.

All the same, if the price is right, and the homebrew scene takes off, it looks like its a decent capable device.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Read the articles now, and if battery can hold up, I'd get this as a PVR device.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

http://openpandora.org/

Looks like £199 ($330) sometime in June or July...as for the battery life, how does 10+ hrs sound :mrgreen:

Specs from the homepage:
  • ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
  • 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
  • PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
  • 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
  • Wifi 802.11b/g & High Speed USB Host
  • Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
  • Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
  • 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
  • Around 10+ Hours battery life
So it's pretty much either this or a Asus Eee, I think I'll take this :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I liked this pricing better:
The Pandora is expected to ship in April or May at a price of about $320 US (excluding VAT) or 100 GBP/286 Euros (including VAT).
Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Where'd you see that price quote!?! and wtf is VAT? :shock:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

VAT is Value Added Tax, 17.5% is added to the price of everything and is taken by the government. :P

Well it isn't on essentials, like bread etc. But anything the government feels it can get away with, we have to pay VAT on.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DMB2000uk wrote:VAT is Value Added Tax, 17.5% is added to the price of everything and is taken by the government. :P

Well it isn't on essentials, like bread etc. But anything the government feels it can get away with, we have to pay VAT on.

Dan
20% for us here in Ireland. Even if we buy from abroad, we have to pay the import duty tax ](*,)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Damn customs and import duty.

Imagaine all the US hardware bargins we could get if they didn't exist. (or we were super sneaky :snakeman: )

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You could send them all to Nate and he could send them to you guys in another package and add a really low value... Though I cannot be held responsible for any problems that arise if you do this.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Not that I've ever done this but: Shipped to a Stateside friend, wrapped in gift wrapping with a card is what I hear from my overseas friends I remail for.

Then I hear a couple of the custom shippers are customs cleared.
Digerati
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Digerati »

Wow, 17.5% and 20% are a bit too much for tax! We complain about 13% here... As far as I know, prices are generally much higher in the U.K. too, aren't they? 8-[
sanel
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sanel »

I was just about to say that the system was really helpful and that it helped me to figure out one person in particular. =)