Sony wants to take everything you say or make for their own

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
KnightRid

Sony wants to take everything you say or make for their own

Post by KnightRid »

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... 3-tos.html
While the big news on Friday may have been the delay of Sony's ertswhile console-seller LittleBigPlanet, gamers also received a curt e-mail from Sony letting them know that the terms of service for the PlayStation 3 have changed. "If you do not agree with the revised Terms of Service and User Agreement, please contact Customer Service to terminate your account(s). Otherwise, your or your Sub Account's continued use of your PLAYSTATION(R)Network accounts means you agree to the changes," the e-mail tells you. Let's dig into the new terms and see what it means for gamers. Here's a slight spoiler warning: you'll be slightly concerned.

The first section of changes says that you should be of legal age to hold the main account on the system, and children under the age of 15 should be kept to a subaccount, although Sony does take pains to say there is no way to keep certain kinds of online content away from any account. So be a good parent, dang it! When you reach "the legal age of majority," you can have your own Master account. This is standard stuff; Sony needs to make sure it can't be sued because of children seeing or hearing inappropriate things when they play online. It goes downhill from there.

Sony also has the right to keep records of anything you say or do online, or to simply listen in. "SCEA reserves the right to monitor and record any online activity and communication throughout PSN and you give SCEA your express consent to monitor and record your activities," the agreement reads. "Any data collected in this way, including the content of your communications, the time and location of your activities, your Online ID and IP address and other related information may be used by us to enforce this Agreement or protect the interests of SCEA, its users, or licensors." This is not the place to discuss your pirated copy of Resistance, in other words, or how you're planning on using custom firmware on your PSP.

Ars broke the story about the rather limiting DRM imposed on video purchases made through the PS3, and the inability to redownload your video content whenever you'd like is a big turn-off for the service. Sony has added an extra-special kick in the junk to the agreement as well, saying it has no responsibility for the data once you have downloaded it. "You bear all risk of loss for completing the download of any content and for any loss of content you have downloaded, including any loss due to a file corruption or hard drive crash.You are solely responsible for the storage and safekeeping of your content," the agreement warns. "SCEA is not responsible for providing you with replacement copies for any reason."

This makes video purchases a bad idea: you can't re-download your content if anything happens to it, and you've already agreed that Sony doesn't have to help you if their hardware goes bad. Thanks, guys. The agreement even goes so far to state that it's okay if things don't work. "No warranty is given about the quality, functionality, availability or performance of PSN, or any content offered on or through PSN... SCEA assumes no liability for any inability to purchase access to or use any content"

The other section heavily modified has to do with user-created content. With LittleBigPlanet and Guitar Hero: World Tour allowing you to create whole songs and levels respectively, Sony wants to make sure they can use whatever you create without being caught in any legal entanglements. "To the extent permitted by law, You authorize and license SCEA a royalty free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties," Sony explains. "You further agree that SCEA may sublicense its rights to any third party, including its affiliates and subsidiaries. You hereby waive all claims, including any moral rights, against SCEA, its affiliates and subsidiaries for SCEA or any other third party's use of User Material to the extent permitted by applicable law." You make it, they own it—done deal... according to your user agreement.

User agreements exist for one reason: to cover the company's butt in the widest and most far-reaching way possible. With the exception of the video DRM it may be a while before we see any adverse practices come from this strongly worded agreement, if we ever do at all. That said, Sony is giving gamers much to worry about.
Official Agreement - http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/15

Mike

Nice of them to be able to steal users ideas rather than hire people to make their own ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sony wants to take everything you say or make for their own

Post by Skippman »

Wow!

Man, who'd have thought Sony could make Microsoft look so good? This is why I play my online games on my PC. I have a PS3 and an X360 and the X360's online experience is so much better anyway. Way to go Sony!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

damn, that rains on my want for a PS3...oh well..means more money to put into my pc then..or maybe even an xbox :)
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Glad I don't own a PS3 now. But FYI, it's perfectly legal to use custom firmware on your PSP. Just don't hack any games or pirate software, there's plenty of cool, legal apps.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

For those who played Star Wars Galaxies and knew SOE: this is nothing new :snakeman: I hope they will not have the right to be rescued by any government if they are caught in red numbers [-X 8) Oh, probably they do... :cry:
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

Yeah, this all par for the course when it comes to Sony. I used to love Sony products. But the quality has dropped dramatically and their obsessive need for control has made my decision to avoid them easy. I love my 360, except having to pay for Live. :x
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

oh well at least it's free
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

But at what cost free?

Microsoft has made a viable online economy by staying out of "content theft" when it comes to thier online service. Look at how many games are now available online on Live for download. I can't imagine that number will do anything but increase. What happened to the promise of "you can make something then sell it on our online community". Sony's basically said anything you do on our online service is the sole property of Sony.
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

which is one more reason why sony's stocks tank
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
Razorteets
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Razorteets »

For some reason this doesn't seem wholly out-of-character for Sony...
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

The Sony Dominance

All your games belong to us.

AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Well any hardware failure is virtually impossible as PS3s are invincible. Any content stealing you don't need to worry about unless you have LBP or GH:WT. Honestly, I couldn't care less about what SONY does to their T&C, because I love my PS3 so long as PSN doesn't start to cost (SUCK THOSE XBOX LIVE-ERS).
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
Blackhowling
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Blackhowling »

shamrok3 wrote:Well any hardware failure is virtually impossible as PS3s are invincible. Any content stealing you don't need to worry about unless you have LBP or GH:WT. Honestly, I couldn't care less about what SONY does to their T&C, because I love my PS3 so long as PSN doesn't start to cost (SUCK THOSE XBOX LIVE-ERS).
Yeap gotta agree with you on that, I love my ps3 as well. They can have all my levels in LBP I don't really care, as for downloads I rather just purchase it from the store, not too fond of purchasing digital video content anyways. They made it they can do whatever they want, just give me an awesome game to play and I'm all yours.
Bobby Yip says,"When in doubt, google it!!"
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

What does it matter if your LBP level belongs to Sony? You can't use it outside of the game unless you were to make a sidescrolling game and happen to make a level similar to what you made on LBP. What are the chances that Sony is going to find your one level out of 1,000,000 and put two and two together and sue you?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Well Sony did patent a method of manipulating your brain back in 2005, so this isn't surprising of Sony. :lol:

Link to article of what I'm talking about: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18624944.600