Xbox 360 at 54.2 percent failure rate

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xbox 360 at 54.2 percent failure rate

Post by Apoptosis »

The latest issue of Game Informer contains a surprising statistic for anyone who's ever loved and lost their Microsoft-branded home console – according to their survey, in which over 5,000 console owners participated, the Xbox 360's current failure rate due to the Red Ring of Death, E74 or other hardware failure is 54.2 percent. They also calculated the relative death toll for PS3s due to the Yellow Light of Death (10.3 percent) and Wiis, due to ... well, we're not actually sure what color the Wii's light turns to upon its demise (6.8 percent).
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Xbox 360 at 54.2 percent failure rate

Post by bubba »

and I thought cell phone failure rate was high. saw somewhere something like 14-15% in a 12 month life.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

When I got my 360 I immediately spent $10 on a USB powered notebook cooler and its helped keep the console noticeably cooler to the touch. As long as you don't stand it on it's side (doing so blocks a heat vent) or lay it down on carpet (thick carpet insulates) and use a fan driven laptop cooler you should be alright.

Although the fact that you have to pamper your console at all is crazy to begin with. Back in the day my sister and I used to keep our NES on for weeks at a time because our Zelda game wouldn't hold a save once the power turned off and we never had any problems. While the 360 is many many times more powerful then the original NES my point is that the NES was designed to function properly where as the 360 apparently is not.

Years from now maybe the 360 will be used as a business example on how cutting corners to save money can end up costing you more then you think.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Never had a problem with either of my X360's. :-k
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

That's an incredibly big number. If that's true, it surprises me that I haven't heard of any lawsuits...
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Interesting, I haven't had any issues with my x360, but I rarely use it. I've considered popping the case and doing some custom cooling though - those fans in there are freaking loud!
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

good thing I didn't buy one then..almost did..I'm a bit shocked MS would allow it to go that high..console speaking wise anyway
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro