PS3 A/V question

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Koojo
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

PS3 A/V question

Post by Koojo »

Hello :)

I'm soon going to purchase a PS3, but I have somewhat of an odd setup. I've got an HD monitor, which I want to plug PS3 into via HDMI. However, my monitor does not have speakers, and the only audio out options are digital; my speakers are analog, and are currently hooked up to my PC. Converters to get this to work are a little expensive, so I would like a recommendation to get this to work. My current options as far as I know are:

Video: PS3 > HDMI Cable > Monitor
Audio: Monitor > Headphone jack (this would be a hassle, and isn't what I'm looking for if I can help it)
OR
Audio: PS3 RCA Audio out > Direct stereo RCA input
OR
Audio: PS3 RCA Audio out > Y converter to PC sound Line In > PC Line Out to RCA stereo connection

Are these my only options? Will they work? As a reference, my monitor also has an optical audio out port, as well as USB ports.

Thanks a lot in advance, this is really bothering me.
KnightRid

Re: PS3 A/V question

Post by KnightRid »

I am confused - your monitor has no speakers and you want to use computer speakers for the audio?

your monitor has an optical OUT connection for audio passthrough from the HDMI (I guess - really goofy) but you cant use that for audio because you dont have a surround system to use the digital hookup.

Now, the ps3 comes with composite cables (red/white/yellow) but I do not know if you can use the red and white for audio and the HDMI for video or not - you would have to try it. That is IF you have a way to pass sound from rca cables to your speakers.

Mike

If you are spending $300-$400 for the PS3, why not get a cheap ass surround kit that includes speakers and has optical input for the digital audio?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Koojo
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Koojo »

Thanks for your reply :)

They're not really PC speakers; they're just an old shelf system with only analog ports that I've run to my PC's sound card.

So you don't think the RCA deal will work? =/ I'll have to try it, but I guess I should look into some sort've surround sound kit as you said. That would sound much better than this old shelf system.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

You can assign the output from the PS3 under system settings. You can use HDMI or composite (Red/White). You will probably need a splitter to share output sound with your PC output. Not sure how it will sound, but this might get it done for you. Of course you can get some $10 speakers from anywhere dedicated to your PS3.

Of course, you want to get to the point of having a receiver (from craigslist?) to handle all your A/V inputs and distribute them to the monitor and speaker of your choice. Let us know how your experiment goes.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Yes, you can assign audio to the RCA analog out. That's what I did before we replaced our old stereo receiver. I would suggest not passing the sound through your PC's line in. The DAC (digital to analog converter) on the PS3 is pretty decent, much better than the onboard sound card on my PC at the least. You can get good stereo receivers pretty cheap on craigslist or ebay.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3