Best Router For PS3/Wii

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Best Router For PS3/Wii

Post by Razorbacx »

Looking to buy a good router to allow us to hook up our PS3 & Wii to the internet and with so many options out there I'm not sure which one will be the best. Do I need an N Router or will the G work well enough? We have an 80GB PS3 that's about a year old if that helps.

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Router For PS3/Wii

Post by dicecca112 »

Both are G, so you'd be fine with a G Router. That being said, G is going to start going away, so why not future proof and get a N router. I've always been a fan of Linksys and have my Wii and PS3 hooked to a Linksys Wireless N Router
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Any particular model? Does it provide a secure wireless network or do I need to add any additional security measures that won't create online play problems?

Thanks!
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

WRT400N, has the typical security (WPA1/2, WEP, etc). Its dual band, one is wireless N and the other is Wireless G.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

I'm currently using a Netgear 'G' wireless. Works fine, most of the time although it has been dropping out a bit occasionally, but maybe just because it's getting old. I would recommend having a look at the Apple Airport (My fave router ATM) It's got gigabit ports, N Wireless, latest security protocols and printer or hard drive sharing. Of course, a lot of that is only relevant for PCs.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit