PS3 Retail Sales Exceed 3.8 Million Units Over Holidays

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Digital Puppy

PS3 Retail Sales Exceed 3.8 Million Units Over Holidays

Post by Digital Puppy »

PLAYSTATION®3 RETAIL SALES EXCEED 3.8 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE DURING THE HOLIDAY SALES SEASON

Remarkable 76% Increase Compared to the Previous Year, Resulting in the Most Successful Holiday Season in the History of PlayStation®3
Tokyo, January 7, 2010 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the holiday season retail sales of PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment systems during the five weeks following the last week of November 2009*1 exceeded 3.8 million units worldwide*2. The PS3 platform experienced a 76% increase in hardware sales compared to the same period in the previous year, marking the highest record sales for PS3 hardware for a holiday period. With the release of the new slimmer and lighter PS3 system combined with an exciting line-up of compelling software titles, as well as with the expansion of new content and services on PlayStation®Network, with more than 38 million registered accounts*3 worldwide, the PS3 platform continues to surpass its momentum every year and remains on track to further accelerate the growth of its worldwide installed base into 2010.

With continued strong support from game developers and publishers around the world, highly anticipated and exciting game titles on Blu-ray™ disc were released for the PS3 system during the holiday season. The software line-up includes platform-defining franchises that contributed significantly to PS3 hardware sales such as UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves from SCE, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed® II, Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from Activision, and FINAL FANTASY XIII from SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY XIII for North America and Europe/PAL territories will be available on March 9, 2010. In addition to this extensive line-up of software titles, multimedia capabilities that PS3 offers, including Blu-ray disc player functionality, combined with various rich content and services available for download on PlayStation®Network, continue to attract more and more users around the globe making PS3 the ultimate interactive entertainment system for the home.

In 2010, SCEI will continue to deploy various measures to further expand the PS3 software line-up, including highly anticipated titles such as God of War 3, Gran Turismo™ 5, MAG, Heavy Rain and ModNation Racers. The company will also vigorously enhance the network content and services, while tapping into a wider audience through the introduction of a new Motion Controller*4 supported with a variety of software titles as well as delivering outstanding 3D experience in homes with 3D stereoscopic games and movies*5, that is possible only on the PS3 platform.

*1 From November 23 to December 27 for Japan and Asia, from November 24 to December 28 for North America, and from November 21 to December 25 for Europe and PAL territories.
*2 Retail sales number is estimated by SCEI.
*3 Number as of January 3, 2010.
*4 “Motion Controller” is a tentative name.
*5 Users will be able to enjoy 3D stereoscopic games and movies by updating their PS3 system with the supported firmware updates. Details of the firmware updates will be announced when they become available.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
KnightRid

Re: PS3 Retail Sales Exceed 3.8 Million Units Over Holidays

Post by KnightRid »

About time people realize which the best console is ;) Plus I imagine all the xbox360 people have to be getting tired of the RROD and being banned from live for finding a way to cheat - lol

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I am very happy with my PS3, I wouldn't even think about owning an xbox 360.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

vicaphit wrote:I am very happy with my PS3, I wouldn't even think about owning an xbox 360.
+1
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
Blackhowling
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Blackhowling »

vicaphit wrote:I am very happy with my PS3, I wouldn't even think about owning an xbox 360.
Won't hurt to just own them all either, I got all 3, wii, 360, and ps3. Each having certain games that others don't. I love video games so it's not the system that gets me, but the games that do.
Bobby Yip says,"When in doubt, google it!!"
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I don't play FPS games on consoles, so I would be out a lot of money if I bought all 3. I also prefer PC gaming, and all I need is something that can sit next to my TV and be a media center for cheap.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
ahsjose
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ahsjose »

Sony is stepping up.... Cant wait for E3!