Son wants to expand storage on xbone

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Son wants to expand storage on xbone

Post by Kaos Kid »

My son wants to get an external drive for his xbone, as I am researching I see that most external portable drives still use basically laptop platter drives. 2TB versions around $100 and they are going to get speeds of about 140>150Mbps. If I put a 1 or 2TB SSD into a portable drive enclosure it will get speeds of probably 4>500Mbps. Does he need those speeds in an SSD for storage/load times, or will a spinner be adequate for storage/load times on the xbone? Thanks
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Re: Son wants to expand storage on xbone

Post by KnightRid »

SSD

:)

So, the biggest advantage is not even the speed (what usb ports does the xbox have anyway? can they even do 400mbps?) but there are no moving parts so if it gets knocked around a bit, it wont die horribly!!!!!!!

That said, I have a 4tb WD Red drive on my PS4 that I put into an external case and it does just fine. Not as fast at loading as a SSD but the drive inside is a traditional one anyway. I would still go ssd. In a heartbeat. I would put one in my external enclosure for my PS4 but I dont have one lying around.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

It is the xbox one s, probably a gen or two back from now.

So now I've talked myself into getting a portable drive enclosure, usb powered. He saw a 4TB official xbox drive for $120 (obviously platter) so now I have to convince him that a 1TB or 2TB SSD is worth the extra money for less storage.

I do have a toshiba 2TB hybrid ssd/platter laptop drive that may fall somewhere in between?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yea, any drive will work just ssd gives a little more speed with loading times and more durability.

If you already have the 2tb laying around, give it a shot and see what he thinks. You can always get a bigger drive down the road.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

My personal experience with a Hybrid....
A hybrid will give a good response time but, read and writes are not much better(if at all) than a traditional HDD!
Any drive will work but, SSD will be the best performance across the board!
I built one system with a Hybrid for a friend, will not do it again!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow