Memory crashing my computer?

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
rjbrittain11
Legit User
Legit User

Memory crashing my computer?

Post by rjbrittain11 »

Okay folks, It's probably got a dumb question, but hopefully you folks could clear the tunnel for me and shed some light on this.

I recently put another Gig of memory into my custom built computer (I had 1GB in it already of 2 512MB Corsair sticks). the Gig that I just recently put in was also the same memory, 2 512MB sticks. So now I have 4 512MB sticks in there. Following me? Okay, great. Now my Motherboard hold 4GB, and has 4 slots. All of them being filled now. Now my question is this: Could this be causing my current restarts? So is having 4 512MB sticks worse than having 2 1GB sticks?

Heres the problem: With no warning, my computer just restarts, and gives no explanation why. No messages come up, nothing. I have dissected this a little bit and I'm at a loss. I know its not CPU Temp, or any other temps for that matter, cause I have been monitoring that. I have ran Memtest86 for a long time without any errors. So what can this be? What else should I be looking for that may be causing these random restarts? Thanks.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory crashing my computer?

Post by DMB2000uk »

How long is a long time?

To see if there are any error messages, have you tried looking in the control panel -> administrative tools -> Event viewer.

Look under there for any red crosses, probably under the system 'sub-menu'.

If there are some, then open them up and see if they give you an error code. If they do, post it here and we shall see if they are of any significance.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Make sure you have the Command Rate set to "2T" in your motherboard's BIOS.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
rjbrittain11
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rjbrittain11 »

Thanks Dan for that reply. I have ran Memtest86 for the longest, probably about 5 hours. I checked the Event Viewer, and since I can't pinpoint the time that the last reset was, I can't give accurate information. But I can tell you this: The Event Viewer doesn't have any errors yesterday when I got the random resets. I am getting a warning though, and it says that its a DHCP warning saying its automatically configured my IP address for the network card.

The Application tab does have an error. That is a nview_info error. Also, Command Rate is set to 2T in bios. Thanks for the help.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Can you post your full system specs please, just to check if there is anything out of place (like the computer being underpowered).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
flashive
Legit User
Legit User
Location: Gorterdiep 11, 1723AL Noord-Scharwoude, The Netherlands

Post by flashive »

It might even be your OS.

Did the reboots happen using the same OS every time, if so you could try to download a Linux Live CD and see if your PC also reboots when running that.

Just another option to pinpoint your problem.