Advise please

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Advise please

Post by Merlin »

Could someone please read my sig ( to see current setup) and tell me how much benefit would I see in pratical terms IF I were to upgrade to an AM2 MOBO that supports DDR2 6400 and got a simular CPU to go with it? From what I gather my memory right now is basically making it where I can't OC my CPU.Also can I upgrade to faster Ram ( if its out there) that is DDR rather than DDR2 e3ven thought my MOBO says it supports up to 3200? I have seen people with slower processors OC them to higher speeds...( Monster rig thread) Lastly would I be able to OC all the parts of my current rig IF I were to buy a good Corsair 550W PSU to keep it all more stable? My goal is to extend the life of my current rig a little while I save up for the new stuff.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
KnightRid

Re: Advise please

Post by KnightRid »

Few things - what programs are you running that you need to overclock?

If it is just for say, folding - then I wouldnt bother.

MOST motherboards will support the higher end DDR (if you can still find it) even though they state 3200.

If you spend the money on higher end memory and a power supply - why not just add that to your savings for a new one ;)

Unless you drastically need the speed for video editing, cad programs, etc - the overclocking hype isnt all it is cracked up to be. Overclock 300mhz and save yourself 2 minutes on encoding time - WOW - WOOHOO - lol - unless you go for the EXTREME overclocks, it doesnt do a whole lot in real world terms.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

The whole dang question would be pratically mute IF they (new tech developers) would have pit a little extra effort into making DDR2 in a way that would allow it to work (slower of course) in a DDR machine. Then I could upgrade my memory and PSU first then save up for the MOBO and new CPU later but DDR2 will not work at all in my current board from what I know. The truth is I pobably don't really need to upgrade much at all to run the progras I run now. I just like the feeling of adding something new to my PC every few months but they are making that very hard when each component gets revamped eery few months ( PCI -E x2, DDR2 now DDR3, socket 939 AM2 now AM2+) I used to be able to spend about $300 per year and I could more or less "keep up" with development being one year behind "cutting edge". Now I basically have to upgrade my whole system MOBO ,CPU, and Ram or Video every 12 months or so and I am falling behind my 12 month preference all the time.

is DDR3 backwards compatable to a DDR2 board?
Merlin
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

KnightRid wrote:Few things - what programs are you running that you need to overclock?

If it is just for say, folding - then I wouldnt bother.

MOST motherboards will support the higher end DDR (if you can still find it) even though they state 3200.

If you spend the money on higher end memory and a power supply - why not just add that to your savings for a new one ;)

Unless you drastically need the speed for video editing, cad programs, etc - the overclocking hype isnt all it is cracked up to be. Overclock 300mhz and save yourself 2 minutes on encoding time - WOW - WOOHOO - lol - unless you go for the EXTREME overclocks, it doesnt do a whole lot in real world terms.

Mike
If it is for folding, then yes Merlin please upgrade, it gives you and upgrade path in the future.

And no DDR 1 does not work in DDR2 and DDR2 does not work in DDR3 or any backwards compatible scheme you may be thinking of
Edu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Edu »

If you are upgrading, invest in a DDR2 rig then.DDR2 is also very cheap now.It's the right time to upgrage i think.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I don't know anything at all about folding other than the principle. I will upgrade I was mostly asking so that I could upgrade the bare minumum now and add to it later..example I would like to have 2x 2 Gig of Corsair XMS for $ 129 but I will likely have to settle for 2x1 GB for around $50. I saw a sweet MOBO that accepts DDR3 but its $230 and thats my budget for MOBO and CPU. I could get the MOBO and CPU I want but then I couldn't get the Ram I must have to use them. Oh well it looks like I have to just save up the $500 or so and do it all at once
Merlin
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I was looking around at MOBOs found this one.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813130134R..it takes both DDR and DDR2 and it is socket 775 so I could get this MOBO and a nice processor and run it with my current Ram until I saved up a little more to get e new MOBO and Ram. That way I could hold off a little until maybe the DDR3 boards and memory drop a little in price. What you all think??

Never mind this! I didn't see it has only one PCI slot and its not PCI-E...don't really see why they would even make this thing
Merlin
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I think I have a motherboard or 2 here that accepts DDR and DDR2 memory, but they are all AGP - none are PCI-E

DDR3 is not compatible with DDR2 slots.

as for folding - upgrading anything but the cpu really wont make much of a difference unless you were running 256mb of ram or something ;) That is why I said for folding dont bother.

You could always grab a DDR3 board and cpu and use cheaper DDR2 memory and just overclock the CPU and not the memory...?? At least till you get the money for DDR3 (which needs to come down in price before it is even worthwhile to get)

I might have some ddr chips around here if you just wanted to add some to yours, but I dont know if they are overclockable or not I will have to try and find them as I am trying to get everything in a box of its own so I know what the hell I have :) Found like 5 cpus already :shock: lol

Let me know if you want me to search for the DDR memory to see if it is something you would be interested in for now.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I have fairly good Ram right now its just not DDR2 so it would not work in an AM2 board. I could probably over clock the CPU and the Ram but my PSU is not a good one. IF I am going to take this in steps I suppose the PSU would have to be first since I could then try Ocing the whole system which at the very least would give me somethng to play with while I saved. I could add 2 more 512 sticks to have a total of 2GIG in 4 sticks...
Merlin
New_age
Legit User
Legit User

Post by New_age »

If you think, you have a good enough memory, then wait for the DDR3 prices to come down.Then purchase a DDR3 mobo & DDR3 memories.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Merlin wrote:I have fairly good Ram right now its just not DDR2 so it would not work in an AM2 board. I could probably over clock the CPU and the Ram but my PSU is not a good one. IF I am going to take this in steps I suppose the PSU would have to be first since I could then try Ocing the whole system which at the very least would give me somethng to play with while I saved. I could add 2 more 512 sticks to have a total of 2GIG in 4 sticks...
If you just HAVE to spend money right now, I would say grab the extra ram. If you go for a power supply make sure it will handle whatever new system you are thinking of getting. You have a decent system right now! I mostly run AMD2400+ systems to do odd jobs on, so you have me beat in that area :)

I honestly dont see the need for overclocking right now for you - Your computer should have enough power to handle anything you throw at it. If games are the concern - then wait to get a PCI-E motherboard and throw an 8800gt in that puppy :) or 2 ;)

Mike