OCZ 6GB Memory Kit

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
SDMarty
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

OCZ 6GB Memory Kit

Post by SDMarty »

I picked up OCZ 6GB memory Gold Series kit the other day (PN: OCZ3G1600LV6GK) after looking @ benchmark tests from Legit Reviews. I'm planning to run 2 1MB video cards, Windows XP SP3 and 1.5 TB HHD. I like to Dbl. check all components and cut down problems as much as possible...But I'm having a hard time finding an answer to a Voltage difference on DDR3 memory and Motherboard memory voltage.

My memory states; 8-8-8 @ 1.65v the motherboards I've seen all seem to call out memory voltage of 1.5volts. I'm looking @ a Gigabyte board ( GA-EX58-UD3R) which supports Intel Core i7 processor and has 2 x PCI Express x16 slots.....I'm balking at buying this board due to the difference in voltage! It's been 5 years since I built my present computer and I'm a bit dazed and confused over this issue....BTW...I've gone to both OCZ and Gigabyte sites looking for answers...seems that niether has tested each others product as yet!

So with hat in hand and a reeling mind....I'm asking if I should be concerned or is there Bios upgrades or setting that will adjust the voltage difference?
FZ1

Re: OCZ 6GB Memory Kit

Post by FZ1 »

Welcome to the forums. You can adjust the RAM voltage settings in the BIOS, 1.65v is where you want to be with that RAM.
Joe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It's probably running at 1333Mhz @ 1.5v, so when you put the voltage up, be sure to turn the memory divider to the full 1600Mhz speed to get the most from your memory.

Make sure you manually set the timings and subtimings of the memory too (leave any you don't know on auto)

As this speed memory actually means your memory controller will be running overclocked, it would be a good idea to run a pass or two of memtest86+ (burn it to a CD and boot from it), and if that passes alright about 30mins of P95's Blend Torture test. If any of those tests fail, then post back with what happened in what test (and after how long) and someone will suggest what you need to change to make it stable (I don't know offhand :P)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

SDMarty wrote:I picked up OCZ 6GB memory Gold Series kit the other day (PN: OCZ3G1600LV6GK) after looking @ benchmark tests from Legit Reviews. I'm planning to run 2 1MB video cards, Windows XP SP3 and 1.5 TB HHD. I like to Dbl. check all components and cut down problems as much as possible...But I'm having a hard time finding an answer to a Voltage difference on DDR3 memory and Motherboard memory voltage.

Just a side note, windows XP won't recognize the full 6gb of ram. It will only see about half of it. You may want to jump to vista 64bit to take advantage of your systems potential.
SDMarty
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by SDMarty »

Since Windows XP will not handle the 6Gig memory..and I'm about as fond of Vista as Europe was of the Plauge...Does Windows 7 support the DDR3 6GB memory config?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

XP will handle it, you have to get the 64bit version though.
Joe