What Memory

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

np, if u need any help, just ask :)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

go on then guys give me lots of mobo, chip, memory combo's that are the b's knees !

What should i get ? ? ?
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

then lets start with the first question:

whats ur budget?
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

he he that a hard one ? lets £400 for chip, memory and board, maybe a bit more if it's worth it !
Last edited by andy2583 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

another question:

Do you prefer Intel, AMD or you dont care?
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Thats a hard choice too, i do a lot of gaming, css,hl2, farcry etc etc etc all the popular ones but i also do a lot of video editing/rendering, and digital photo work.

I've always gone with intel p4's last 2 systems, maybe i could try Amd but wouldnt want to be dissapointed !
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

If u do video editing u will get noticably more performance from Intel
With gaming the difference isnt always noticable, so i think Intel is best 4 u :)
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

I've made 3 set-ups, top what i think would be best:

system1:
100 GBP DFI 875P-T
100 GBP Intel Pentium 4 630
200 GBP OCZ EB PC-4000 2x1024 Platinum

system2:
100 GBP DFI 875P-T
200 GBP Intel Pentium 4 650
100 GBP OCZ EB PC-4000 1024 Platinum

system3:
100 GBP DFI 875P-T
150 GBP Intel Pentium 4 640
150 GBP OCZ EL PC-4200 2x512 Platinum

Only the prices OCZ EB PC-4000 memory can be much higher, because it isnt out yet so i just gambled the prices.
For the other prices i checked on newegg, made a round number.
Converted too GBP and made a round number again (most of the time up :) )

-If u got a little patience i think u should go 4 system1.
-If u think u dont need 2GB memory but u are patient u should go with system2
-If ur impatient and think u'll only need 1 gb go 4 system3 because the other 2 systems contain memory that isnt out yet.
-If ur impatient and u think u'll need 2gb i cant help u, since good 4x512 memory would be out of the budget and 2x1gb would dramatically slow performance with current memory available

u should have a nice rig when u choose 1 of these :)
2 bad u didnt have pci-e VGA, that was the most limiting thing 4 choosing mobo's (but dont worry, i heard this DFI was a good mobo :mrgreen: )
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Sounds good to me ! i'm definatly gonna have a good read about the board first tho, what made you choose DFI ?

I'm a bit of a fan of Asus, he he dont ask me why tho !

Good news is tho the p4 650, is that the 3.4, 800fsb, 2mb L2 cache ? ? ?

If it is My dad bought the same one for his rig for £168 (retail pack) , from our local computer fair so that makes me feel happier already !

If i wasnt going to go with the DFI is there another similar board spec ? ?

My Bro has Gigabit but i dont know what is is ! i will have to find out

Cheers matey your helps great
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I vote for System 1 and overclocking it :)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Could i use the 650 p4 on system number 1 ?

Or have you choose that one for a particular reason apart from price ?
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

I'm a bit of an Asus fan 4 Intel mobo's too, so at first i went 4 the Asus P5P800.
But according to most people the DFI performs better.

I only choose the 630 because it was cheaper, if its in ur budget, go 4 the 650 (or better :) )

btw: i vote 4 system1 too :) and definitly OC it 8)
cyrus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by cyrus »

DFI is known for their overclocking capabilities. Gigabyte used to be great for this but they kinda fell of the ladder. Asus is a bit restricted. If you want control of your components, buy DFI. Just be sure to monitor temperatures closely when you do any overclocking. Also, make sure you have a good power supply. Just because it puts out a high amount of watts doesn't mean it's good.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Amazing overclocker, reliability with extended life components on-board (if I'm not mistaken, the Ultra and SLI Infinity, as well as both Lanparty UT boards, have an insanely rated Sunon fan on NB, though it looks a little "thin"), what more can you ask for? cheaper price, you say.....how about $100 for a mid-end, amazing overclocker like the Ultra Infinity. SATA II, a deep BIOS, I know that's all I mainly need (for a mobo anyways). The only thing about DFI is that they love high-end components, and those components like a lot of power, thus the only downside. But the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages IMHO.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

killswitch83 wrote:Amazing overclocker, reliability with extended life components on-board (if I'm not mistaken, the Ultra and SLI Infinity, as well as both Lanparty UT boards, have an insanely rated Sunon fan on NB, though it looks a little "thin"), what more can you ask for? cheaper price, you say.....how about $100 for a mid-end, amazing overclocker like the Ultra Infinity. SATA II, a deep BIOS, I know that's all I mainly need (for a mobo anyways). The only thing about DFI is that they love high-end components, and those components like a lot of power, thus the only downside. But the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages IMHO.
The Infinity range of DFI boards DO NOT use the sunon fan on their chipsets!
The use a tiny heatsink and a noisy little fan! Look here

According to Capper's review, the chipset gets very hot... but his board could still go over the magic 300 fsb! :)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

thanks for the correction there, guess I misunderstood that one. But yeah, it's all about the magic number though, and I went ahead and got the board because of budget constraints but still wanted a good overclocker. What can I say, we all misread things sometimes, lol :rolleyes:
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Wooo hoo i just managed to get myself a dfi 875p-t mobo brandnew still sealed for £65.... i couldnt believe my luck !

Gonna go on the hunt for my chip now :finga:
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

nice :mrgreen:
gl with ur new rig 8)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Whats the difference between the 550 and 650 p4's ? apart from L2 cache ?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you want the 600 series...

From my article: http://legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=166
The New Features:

More L2 Cache - Enthusiasts know that more cache means more performance and that is exactly what Intel did on these updated Prescott cores. They doubled the L2 cache in hopes of adding performance. The extra cache means more transistors, and in this case, over 40 million more! This increase in cache also increases the size of the die from 112mm2 to 135mm2. This is the only true "performance" upgrade made to the core this time around.

EMT64 Enabled - Other than the extra L2 cache the newly launched Pentium 4 6XX processor family offers support for Enhanced Memory 64 Technology or EM64T as many know it by. Since this is nothing more than 64-bit extensions of x86 architecture they are identical to the AMD64 extensions, thus giving us the first AMD vs. Intel battle on the 64-bit Operating System. Now that both Intel and AMD have their 64-bit CPU's out the door and both are fully functional, with the latest public release of Windows XP Professional x64 expect to see this OS completed in the near future!

Enhanced Power Management - Combination of EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology), C1E (Enhanced Halt State), and TM2 (Thermal Monitor 2). In an appropriately designed system, these features can deliver average power savings with little impact to performance by adjusting frequency & voltage. To go a little more in depth, all three technologies offer similar functionality initiated in three different ways. C1E is activated via Halt (idle) instruction execution. EIST operates via OS request based upon CPU load. TM2 operates via processor request based upon the thermal load on the processor.

Execute Diable Bit Enabled - Intel Execute Disable Bit offers Improved Security when used with Windows XP SP2. With the Execute Disable Bit feature you can be protected from certain types of viruses and buffer overflow exploits. This is similar to AMD's NX technology and Intel has used Execute Disable Bit on the 5XXJ series processors.