OCZ announces EL DDR PC-3500 Platinum LE memory

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

OCZ announces EL DDR PC-3500 Platinum LE memory

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ announces EL DDR PC-3500 Platinum Limited Edition memory 2003-10-20

Sunnyvale, CA.
OCZ announces EL DDR PC-3500 Platinum Limited Edition memory

OCZ is pleased to announce the availability of EL DDR PC3500 Platinum Limited Edition memory modules.

OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Platinum Limited Edition memory will be available in 256MB and 512MB modules along with 512MB and 1GB Dual Channel kits. OCZ EL DDR PC3500 Platinum modules come with integrated mirrored heatspreaders and are rated for CL 2-2-3-6 operation at 2.7 volts.

Full PR link: http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2003/73

Product page: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/m ... ed+Edition
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I believe that is usually a marketing term used to enhance quickness of purchase. LOL

something like that...
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

limited they're referring to the supply of BH-5 chips they are using with them :)

i'm playing with 1GB OCZ PC3500 Gold and Platinum right now and they are excellent :)
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

eva,
can you post some benches for us. I am hopefully getting some 3500 Plat this next week and would love to see what it is gonna do...

PJ
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

EVA!!!!! Welcome to the forums! Glad to have ya!
oczguy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by oczguy »

No one has been running BH5 for a while except for Mushkin.We managed to find a stock of BH5 and re issued due to public demamd.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

And for that, we are grateful!!! Always wondered why they would stop producing such a great product when the demand was there...

PJ
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

thanks guys for the welcome :)
oczguy wrote:No one has been running BH5 for a while except for Mushkin.We managed to find a stock of BH5 and re issued due to public demamd.
now that's confusing Tony taking Ryan's nick hehe - if it wasn't for the UK location i wouldn't known :)

I have the OCZ PC3500 Gold in Shuttle SB61G2 for testing right now and OCZ PC3500 Platinum on 4PCA3+ for testing ( a few issues have to sort out with this board)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

haha...ya I was confused when I saw that too, but then I saw the UK part. I have a few issues with that board too. If you want Eva start a thread on the intel mobo forum and we can go over our issues with that board. I'm actually in the process of reviewing it.
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:haha...ya I was confused when I saw that too, but then I saw the UK part. I have a few issues with that board too. If you want Eva start a thread on the intel mobo forum and we can go over our issues with that board. I'm actually in the process of reviewing it.
which board 4PCA3+ ?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Corsair was indeed running BH-5's on their 3500 as well as Kingston on their initial HyperX 3500 modules. I have both Corsair and Kingston with BH-5's right here on the shelf. I've seen some Mushkin with BH-5's also, but don't have any of those sitting here.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

keaolyen wrote:That's simply wrong, Corsair's 3500 has always been BH-5's.
IIRC, I read that the newer Corsair stuff is NOT bh-5 based. I am trying to find the link to that, though it was a good while ago.

PJ
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

ramguy at corsair forums said xms3500c2 has always been BH-5 just the recent batches don't perform as well as last years BH-5
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

eva2000 wrote:ramguy at corsair forums said xms3500c2 has always been BH-5 just the recent batches don't perform as well as last years BH-5
Thanks for clearing that up Eva...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Maybe Corsair Pruned their forum and cleaned up some posts or something
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I must admit that I agree 100% Others having been using Rev B all along and I find it highly amusing that all of the sudden OCZ jumps in with an LE module. Maybe it is because the IC is EOL that they called it LE.

Bottom Line: OCZ just like Kingston is playing catch up in picking the better IC's and this is just a marketing attempt to let the public know they have something new. It's all about marketing and money. (Kingston is quietly switching from Samsung to Hynix IC's on their PC-4000 and not sending out PR's.) It is not a new product just a revamp on their existing products to make them better. I kinda like Kingston's thinking on that.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Those price points do make one wonder why OCZ thinks they can add more to the price... to me this makes them less competative... they should keep a lower price so customers could more easily justify purchasing their product that does not perform much better, if any, than any of the other options.

Also... if oczguy replies to this... can you tell us a little about yourself? are you an official OCZ employee who can shed some light on this? We are all very curious now... Thanks.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
oczguy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by oczguy »

Yes I work for OCZ..ask PJ or Eva who i am, if you frequent other forums im also known as oczguy2 and bigtoe.

The reason we made these IC's avaialble is because customers wanted them..the IC's don't come cheap with most going to Corsair, mushkin, kingston etc.

I have heard many are changing to CH5 as yield is improving, thats why i stated many have moved to these IC's.

I feel we will not see these modules from OCZ for much longer as we just can't get the chips, much the same as with the IC's we used for the 3700gold.This doesn't mean we are not looking for an alternative though.
Bottom Line: OCZ just like Kingston is playing catch up in picking the better IC's
this isn't true m8, we dropped BH5 a while ago as the yield sucked real bad.
The best weeks were 30 to 35 from LAST year, and we sold thousands of modules based on these IC's.
We use CH5 as well as hynix and Promo's IC's that are designed by OCZ.We are still working with samsung and other manufacturers to give the overclocker what they want, on average new IC's are tested every week with many being VERY poor.We have hopefully a successor to the 3700gold coming soon which will allow near identical performance to the samsung based modules but at the expense of cas2. So 2.5-3-3-7 at 466 and 3-3-3-8 at 500 with a little headroom above, something else good about these modules is that they do this sub 2.8v.

Finally,
Nathan, im sorry i didn't get to talk with you properly at comdex,it would have been nice to chat..maybe we will meet up again if i come back to the US in the future.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Will you be at CES?? Maybe we can meet up again there ;)
oczguy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by oczguy »

I may be..it depends if OCZ decide to be there and in what capacity.