memory compatibility

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

memory compatibility

Post by Merlin »

Hey guys I haven't given it much thought yet but people on eBay are selling memory they bought that doesn't work on their mother board. How can I tell what types or brands my board will accept?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well what board do you have?
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

MSI K7N2 Delta-L .I know it will take DDR400 and it supports dual channel. MSI recommends Kingston, but you guys proved that Corsair sets the standard in quality and performance, and a friend of mine who is a system admin. for a company also says that Corsair is the best. I really would prefer corsair , but if there are problems with Corsair on my model board...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I have not know then nForce2 to be overly picky about memory. chances are if its ddr333 or ddr400 your ok, its posible that they got bad ram and dont know it. they may belive it just to be incompatible. the other chance is that they have an old p3 system and were trying to upgrade thinking that ddr would run on a pc100 or pc133 system.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Man, i'm totally spooked about dealing on E-Bay anymore, seems like there is alot of scum there peddling crap anymore. If you have to deal with people there. Make sure you check feedback very well, and do not make offers offsite, go by the rules and do it right, that way if it goes bad, you won't get a bunch of crappy excuses from Ebay or Paypal.
As to the memory. I was using Kingston PC4000 Hyper X until recently, it worked great for me, never a problem and great benchmark scores, it isn't quite corsair though, corsair is the best.
Most board sites (Abit, ASUS, etc) will have memory compatibility lists, you should check there, although I think if you go with one of the main memory brands you shouldn't have any problem at all.