Best bang for buck DDR2 (2GB)

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Best bang for buck DDR2 (2GB)

Post by kenc51 »

Sound off everyone!
I want to hear what you think is the "best bang for buck" DDR2 (2GB kits)

I'm building a new rig soon and want/can't decide on what ram to get.
I'll be building around either the new ATI RD600 board or the newer (unreleased) 965/975 boards which are coming late Jan.
Prolly a E6600 chip ;) & a new PSU.

I'll be getting the Ram first as DDR2 prices are going to stay high till @ least Feb. The mobo will be last to get as I want one of the new ones and don't want to buy (another) lemon.

Sooo, Here are the candidates so far

Team 6400 Cas 4

Team 5300 Cas 3

CellShock* 6400 Cas 4

CellShock* 8000 Cas 5

*because they're different (8 layer pcb)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well first of off I would knock off the Team 5300 cas 3. Because I know for fact that the 6400 can run at cas 3 at 6400 speeds. And its such a small difference in price.

Knock off the Cellshock at 6400. It does it with more voltage than the Team, and the team is less expensive.

The team and the cellshock at 6400 are exactly the same, just the cellshock can take higher voltages

The Team 6400 has Micron D9GMH
The Team 8000 has Micron D9GMH
The Cellshock 6400 has Micron D9GMH, they never rev 01.1 will have D9GKX which is better
The Cellshock 8000 has Micron D9GKX

The Cellshock has 8layer PCB which can take more voltage

Both the Team and the CellShock 8000 have been known to do 1200MHZ with the right voltage

The best of the Bunch is the Cellshock D9GkX because it has the best chips combined with the 8layer PCB which can take high voltage.

I mean jesus Ken, just PM me next time and save Nate the bandwidth and storage :mrgreen:

Oh and get an E6400 they OC better. I would also say a nv680i Chipset unless you need the Crossfire cap. The nv680i OC memory better. RD600 is gonna be scarce, so you can expect it to cost a bundle. Your best bet is an Asus 975 board. The 975 chipset is better clock for clock than the 965 variants. Asus has the best OCers right now. If your using a Lian Li case or case that inverts the mounting of the motherboard, watch out because most of the high end boards use heatpipes that don't work upside down.

As for PSU, I'd say avoid the OCZ new variants they have ripple issues
Take a good look at the Silverstone Strider Versions. Nice Psus
Corsair has some nice PSUs, based off Seasonic PSUs
Seasonic is also good. Very efficient 80+.
You might want to look into a greater than 600W psu with the new video cards using watts like a fat man eats cake

Bah, just check jonnyguru.com. Check out his forums and recommendations.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Cheers mate!
I mean jesus Ken, just PM me next time and save Nate the bandwidth and storage :mrgreen:
Well.....I was going to, but since I'm not getting the ram for a month or so, prices may change (but i doubt it), new ram might come out or a new revision etc. This was it can be updated.........who knows, I might have to wait till late Jan.