Screen Halo???

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Screen Halo???

Post by camaroguy1998 »

So this popped up on my TV screen about a week ago!(Samsung, 50" LED 4K. 2019 model)
I've seen all kinds of things over the years, but nothing like this!
Its there all the time but, can be seen better depending on the image on the screen.
Anyone ever seen something like this?

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Re: Screen Halo???

Post by KnightRid »

Reflector falling off? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwHWLHT4T4

Or if your wife is looking - Oh man I am so sorry but that means the tv is going to go out very soon and you should probably replace it now with something a bit bigger because the bigger tv's don't usually have as many problems......

:mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:05 am Reflector falling off? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwHWLHT4T4

Or if your wife is looking - Oh man I am so sorry but that means the tv is going to go out very soon and you should probably replace it now with something a bit bigger because the bigger tv's don't usually have as many problems......

:mrgreen:
Mines a Samsung not an LG and its not a Bright spot but a Halo(Just One)
I have found a pic on Google that pretty much matches but its a post on Samsungs community site with only one reply(2020) and that was just to run the picture self diagnostic test. Which I have run with inconclusive results.
The first test image the halo does not show up but the pic is so bright(yellow) you cannot see it. The 2nd image is just black & white lines and barely shows!
The post I found has a pic of someones screen with a couple dozen issues, some look different and some are definitely what mine looks like!
Its not that big of a deal(just one) Its not my main TV! Its my computer room TV(Xmas 2019 $279)
Most of the time I dont notice it but it shows under darker images.
Eventually, I plan on replacing it with my 60" Plasma, which has its issues too!
Just like everything else....eventually! :lol:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Did more research and found that it is happening quite a bit on Samsung tv's.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4K- ... -p/1413944

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/ ... d-p/620097

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/ ... -p/1521994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5s0KttNX0 - That one says a samsung in the comments. Might be the same issue just with halos instead of solid circles. If it gets bad enough that you cant use it then it wont hurt anything to open it up and see if this is the problem.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

my dads 2020 lg 4k led tv did this and turned out that little circular diffusers are used to house the leds to help spread the light and remove white spots. Samsung use a very similar approach. likely the led has fallen slight out of the housing and the light is not being diffused correctly leaving that halo. If out of warranty it can be fixed but usually a bit costly. You could try fixing it yourself but without any experience, I'd lean towards, it's not worth it.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

After going through those links KnightRid, the 2nd link is spot on! Most were having same issue and some straight out bright spots!
I did not see anyone say exactly what the issue is but, Samsung is well aware and chooses to do nothing for TVs out of warranty!

It seems to be the 6000 series TVs, which mine is! It was a CHEAP TV! A BestBuy Xmas Special.
No other store had this particular model but, I've seen posts for TVs up to 65" in the 6000 series with the same issue!

It will cost more to fix it then to buy a new TV!
The few I've seen who had repairs under warranty, had to have the complete screen replaced!
Tech did not even try to fix it!

Now for the worse news, I searched around until I found a decent white image for the screen :(
I see at least 6 more halo's, just not as prominent!
It looks like the LED grid is 8 top to bottom and 16 side to side!
The 2nd row from the left I can see 6 of them plus the 1 towards the middle which you can see in the Pic in 1st post!

I guess it's time to see if I can fix my Plasma! Hope that's not too expensive.
I think I know what the Plasma's issue is but, I'm not much for replacing Capacitors!
But, If I can determine the exact caps that are bad, I will just replace that board!
There are 4 boards inside and I believe I have the skills to replace a PCB! :)
So far the most expensive board I've seen is under $250!

Free TV, $250 investment and a working 60" Plasma(Newest Generation) Sounds like a good deal to me!
The big issue from there is, its not a Smart TV. So, I'll have to go back to a FireStick for streaming!

All but 1 TV in my house are Samsung's, just hope this doesn't Spread like a Virus! :vom:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Just remember the plasma will use a LOT more electricity ;)

Everything is throw away now a days, it's sad. It costs more to fix something than buying a new one.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:45 am Just remember the plasma will use a LOT more electricity ;)

Everything is throw away now a days, it's sad. It costs more to fix something than buying a new one.
Yeah it may use more electricity but, when it comes to picture quality its hard to beat!
Blacks are truer and motion is Soooo Much better! 600HZ compared to 120HZ

Yeah, I'm really PO'd about even considering my TV is Trash! :evil: 2 1/2 yrs old, Freakin' sad!
Big change over the years, I still have my 1st Plasma(Samsung 50") Yes it still works and has a decent picture!(720P)
Its creeping up on 20 yrs old!

With all that said....
I Was Really Surprised today!
I told the wife about my TV and her response was "Black Friday" is coming up! :shock:
:) :) :) :lol:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:17 pm Yeah it may use more electricity but, when it comes to picture quality its hard to beat!

Yeah, I'm really PO'd about even considering my TV is Trash! :evil: 2 1/2 yrs old, Freakin' sad!
Big change over the years, I still have my 1st Plasma(Samsung 50") Yes it still works and has a decent picture!(720P)

With all that said....
I told the wife about my TV and her response was "Black Friday" is coming up! :shock:
I still love my plasma! Mine is a Panasonic 720p that was top rating in consumer reports that year. Still works and still blows the socks off most other tvs even when they are 4k!

Make sure you recorded that from the wife!!!!!!! If not, ask her to repeat herself so you have documented evidence LOL I can be a witness :mrgreen:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 am
camaroguy1998 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:17 pm Yeah it may use more electricity but, when it comes to picture quality its hard to beat!

With all that said....
I still love my plasma! Mine is a Panasonic 720p that was top rating in consumer reports that year. Still works and still blows the socks off most other tvs even when they are 4k!

Make sure you recorded that from the wife!!!!!!! If not, ask her to repeat herself so you have documented evidence LOL I can be a witness :mrgreen:
I have 3 Plasma TVs(All Samsung's) My original 50"(720P) and 2 60"(1080P's) One not working(Kinda) When you first turn it on its fine for maybe 10 to 20 sec's then the picture goes away. Audio still works! Research and local TV repair all say its probably a group of 3 capacitors on one of the boards(Cheap Chinese Caps)
I feel that "Eventually" time is pretty much here!

Yeah, we were sitting at O'Charley's when she said that. If it becomes needed, I will not let her forget what she said! :)
She kinda owes me! When her Seiki TV(Lesson learned, cheap sh*t TV) shot craps a couple years ago she got my 60" Plasma!

Corsair 4000D Airflow